Juicy, delicious steak cooked in an air fryer. This air fryer steak recipe is my go-to for an easy Friday night dinner. Top with herb butter and serve with a side salad – simply delicious!
Preparing air fryer steak
Remove the steak from the refrigerator at least an hour before cooking – meat that starts at room temperature will cook much better in an air fryer as it doesn’t have to warm up so much before it starts cooking. For similar reasons it is important to preheat the airfryer before air frying a steak.
Getting the seasoning right is key for air frying steak. When I am cooking air fryer steak I generally go for a classic peppered steak. Sprinkle lots of cracked black pepper and sea salt on to a plate, then press the steak into the seasoning just before placing it into the air fryer.
You can also use a marinade to enhance flavor and tenderize the meat. Try balsamic vinegar, or a coating of honey and mustard – both reduce down to a sweet glaze. However do not marinate for long periods as this can leave the meat too soft and unappetizing.
For a more subtle flavor, you can add whole garlic cloves or flavorsome herbs like rosemary or thyme to the air fryer basket along with the steak.
How long to cook steak in air fryer
How long to cook steak in an air fryer depends on how big your piece of steak is (in particular how thick it is), and how well you like it done.
As a rule of thumb, start with 5 minutes per inch of thickness for rare steak, and add two minutes of cooking time for each degree of doneness. So, 7 minutes for medium-rare, 9 minutes for medium and so on.
For a more accurate guide, check out my post on how long to cook steak in an air fryer.
How to rest air fryer steak
After air frying steak it should rest at room temperature for approximately five minutes (but not longer than 10) before serving. This allows the fibers of the steak to reabsorb the juices, resulting in a moist and tender steak.
To rest, remove the cooked steak from the air fryer, place on a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Leave for five minutes. You will notice some juices on the plate – these are know as ‘resting juices’, and can be poured over the steak before serving for extra flavor.
More tips on how to cook the perfect airfryer steak:
- For really exceptional results try searing the steak for 1 minute each side in a skillet or on a hot grill prior to air frying – this helps to seal in the juices (if you do this, subtract 2 minutes from the cooking time in the air fryer).
- Steaks need a lot of room to cook in an air fryer, don’t be tempted to squeeze them in too tightly anyway. Air fry steaks one or two at a time then leave them to rest as you cook more. Alternatively, cook one much larger thicker steak in the air fryer and carve it to serve.
What to serve with air fryer steak
Here are some great side dishes to go with this air fryer steak:
- Air fryer potato wedges
- Air fryer French fries
- Microwave corn
- Air fryer sweet potato fries
- Mashed potato
Air fryer steak recipe
Air Fryer Steak
- 8 oz (220g) steak (1 in thick) (try sirloin steak, rump steak or filet mignon)
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Remove steak from the refrigerator an hour before cooking to allow it to reach room temperature before cooking.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Mix sea salt and ground pepper on a plate.
- Make sure the steak is dry, then rub or spray with a little olive oil.
- Press each side of the steak into the salt/pepper mix, then place steaks in air fryer basket. If you are cooking more than one steak, make sure they are not touching.
- Air fry steak for 7 minutes for medium-rare (12 minutes for well-done).
- If you want to be precise about how well your steak is done, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature – it should be 130°F (55°C) for medium-rare, or 160°F (71°C) or above for well done.
- Remove steak from the air fryer, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.