Instant Pot oatmeal made with steel-cut oats is a great way to start your day. Creamy nutritious oatmeal is so simple to cook in an Instant Pot, and there is no need to stand and stir like traditional methods of making oatmeal.
One of the things I love about fall and winter is starting my day with oatmeal. It is so warming and I feel that it really sets me up for the day during the cold time of year.
Steel-cut oats are highly nutritious and low in calories, but cooking them with the traditional method (standing over a pot stirring) is time consuming, and not what I want to be doing with my morning (especially before I have even had breakfast!).
Thanks goodness for Instant Pot! You can cook oatmeal in an Instant Pot in a flash, without needing to stand and watch it cook. I usually add the ingredients, and set it going in the mornings before I jump in the shower. That way it is cooked and keeping warm for me when I am ready.
One of the things I love about oatmeal is that you can switch it up every day by adding different toppings. Some of my favorites are:
- Walnuts, dates and honey
- Sliced banana and honey
- Fresh blueberries
- Shredded apple and sultanas
- Pecans and maple syrup
Instant Pot Oatmeal
- 1½ cups steel cut oats
- 2 cups milk (dairy or plant milk)
- 1½ cups water
- toppings (e.g. fresh fruit, dates, nuts, honey, maple syrup)
- Place steel cut oats in Instant Pot.
- Add milk and water to the Instant Pot. If you prefer your oatmeal thicker then reduce the amount of water you add.
- Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook for 3 minutes at high pressure, by pressing ‘pressure cook’, and selecting 4 minutes using the ‘+-‘ buttons.
- When the time is up, allow the Instant Pot to depressurize naturally for 10 minutes (using the keep warm function). After this time you can press cancel and use quick release to finish depressurizing before opening the Instant Pot.
- Serve oatmeal into bowls and top with your favourite toppings.