The best way to cook carrots in the microwave is to steam them. Try this super simple recipe for microwave steamed carrots the next time you need a quick and easy side dish!
Steamed carrots make a great side dish for many meals. Steaming them in the microwave is super quick and easy, and a great option if you are short on time. You can use baby carrots, or regular carrots cut into ~2in. pieces.
You will need a microwave-safe dish with a lid (or use and upside down plate on top). You just need a small amount of water, just about half an inch of depth in the bottom of the bowl as you don’t want the carrots sitting in the water – we just want the to cook in the steam. The carrots in the bottom of the bowl will be sitting in the water and may get a little overcooked, but you can avoid this by raising the carrots up out of the water using a microwave-safe trivet or steamer basket, like this one by Oxo Good Grips:
Microwave Steamed Carrots
- 4 medium carrots or 16 baby carrots
- ½ cup water
- Scrub or peel carrots.
- If using full sized carrots, cut into 2 inch chunks. Baby carrots do not need to be cut.
- Place carrots into a microwave safe glass bowl. Add the water.
- Cover the bowl with a (microwave-safe) plate or lid, and place in the microwave.
- Microwave carrots on high for 2 minutes, then leave to steam for a further 1 minute until they are tender. Take care when removing carrots from the microwave, the bowl and the steam will be very hot.
- Serve microwave steamed carrots topped with butter.