Air fryer breakfast potatoes (also called home fries) are a simple yet tasty dish that you can serve with just about anything. Easy to prepare and quick to cook, try making breakfast potatoes in the air fryer to simplify your morning.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to cook breakfast potatoes in the air fryer
Breakfast potatoes, or home fries, are basically fried diced potatoes. This crispy potato air fryer recipe is delicious and easy to prepare, and can be served with breakfast or brunch (or any other meal really).
It is very quick and easy to cook breakfast potatoes in an air fryer, this is definitely my favorite way to prepare the dish because it doesn’t need to be watched as closely as other cooking methods. This means you can get on with your morning while they are cooking.
Air frying is a great way to cook many types of potatoes recipe because the hot air gets them so crispy without needing to drench them in oil. For some other air fryer potato recipes you might like, try air fryer roasted potatoes, air fryer baby potatoes, air fryer baked potatoes, or air fryer smashed potatoes.
Scroll down for the printable card for this air fryer breakfast potato recipe, or read on for all the details.
Quantities for all ingredients are given in the recipe card below.
Potatoes: Choose a roasting or baking variety for best results. Try russet potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes, Maris Piper, Agria, or Sebago potatoes. Most types of yellow, gold or red potato should give good results.
Seasoning: This recipe just uses sea salt, however you can add extra seasonings to add more flavor if you like. Try adding ½ teaspoon of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, chili powder, or any other seasonings that you like to make this dish your own.
Oil: The recipe below specifies light olive oil, but you can substitute any other cooking oil that you would normally use in your air fryer. Choose one with a high smoke point, like corn oil, vegetable oil, or avocado oil.
How to cook the BEST breakfast potatoes in the air fryer
This is a very simple recipe to make, but there are some important steps to get right that make these the best air fryer breakfast potatoes.
- Soak the potatoes. First peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes, then soak them in cool water for ten minutes or longer to remove any surface starch. I like to prepare them the night before, and soak them over night in the refrigerator.
- Dry the potatoes thoroughly. After soaking, drain potatoes and pat them dry thoroughly on a clean dish towel or paper towel. Removing as much surface moisture as possible will help to get these potatoes really crispy in the air fryer.
- Oil and season potatoes. When the potatoes are dry mix them with the oil and seaoning in a large bowl. Ensure the potatoes are well coated.
- Air fry potatoes. Place diced potatoes in the air fryer, and air fry for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy. Shake the basket a few times during cooking to redistribute the potatoes and ensure they cook evenly.
Ways to serve these air fryer breakfast potatoes
Whether you’re serving them for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner, there are many many ways to serve these breakfast potatoes.
- Make a classic American breakfast with scrambled eggs and crispy bacon on the side.
- Serve them on the side with an omelette or fried eggs.
- Serve them with dinner as a tasty alternative to fries.
Storing and reheating leftovers
Store any leftover potatoes in an air tight container in the fridge. Use within 3 days.
Leftover breakfast potatoes can be eaten cold, or you can reheat them in your air fryer. Place breakfast potatoes in the air fryer basket, and cook for 5 minutes at 360°F/ 180°C until hot.
How to cook breakfast potatoes in an air fryer.
- 2lb russet potatoes [Note 1]
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Peel the potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes, and place into a bowl of cold water to soak for 10 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F/180°C.
- Drain the potatoes and pat them dry. Place in a large bowl, drizzle with oil, add the salt, and toss to coat.
- Place the breakfast potatoes in the air fryer and cook at 360°F/180°C for 20 minutes, shaking the basket to redistribute the potato cubes 1 or 2 times during the cooking time [Note 2].
- The potato cubes should be golden brown and crispy. Air fry for an additional 5 minutes if required.
- Choose a roasting variety, such as russet potatoes, Yukon Gold, Sebago, Maris Piper, Agria, or another red, yellow or golden variety.
- Or use tongs to quickly flip them if you have a tray type air fryer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 561mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like:
- Air fryer sweet potato wedges
- Air fryer bacon
- Air Fryer Potatoes and Onions
- Air fryer hash browns
- Air fryer frittata
- Air fryer quiche
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!