Air fryer lemon pepper chicken wings made with a dry rub are versatile and very quick and easy to cook. Air frying means they will be perfectly crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside. Perfect for an easy snack or appetizer.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to cook crispy lemon pepper chicken wings in an air fryer
Lemon pepper chicken wings are so easy to make in an air fryer. Quick prep time, and also very quick to cook, you can whip this delicious snack or appetizer up in no time at all. Perfect for game day!
My family all love air fried chicken. It is so quick and easy, and air frying is so great for getting really crispy skin that everyone loves on chicken! Some of our favorites are air fried chicken legs, air fryer chicken breast, and roast chicken.
This recipe uses a dry rub for seasoning. You can use either a store made lemon pepper seasoning, or make your own simple one from ground black pepper, lemon zest and garlic salt (or kosher salt and garlic powder).
When using a dry rub, pat the wings dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle the dry rub onto the wings, and then rub the seasoning in with your hands. I have found that you can just about get away with using silicone tongs if you are squeamish about touching raw chicken.
⏲️ Cooking times
These chicken wings take approximately 20 minutes to cook in the air fryer, though the exact cooking time depends on many factors including exactly how big the chicken wing pieces are, and how powerful your air fryer is. See this recipe for cooking whole chicken wings in an air fryer (they take a bit longer).
The important thing with getting the cook times right with chicken is always to ensure that the internal temperature in the center of the thickest part is 165°F (74°C) or higher.
Use an instant-read thermometer at the end of the cook time to check the temperature in the center of the thickest part, and add a couple of minutes cooking time if it is not quite done.
- Season the chicken wings. Pat chicken wings dry and place in a large bowl. Add dry rub on top, then use your hands (or silicone tongs) rub the seasoning into the chicken. Try to ensure that every surface is covered and the seasoning is well rubbed in.
- Place chicken wings in the air fryer. The chicken wings should be placed in the air fryer basket in a single layer. It is OK if they are touching, but try to ensure there is space around them so the hot air flow can reach all surfaces of the wings.
- Cook the wings. Air fry the wings at 355°F (180°C) for twenty minutes flipping them over half way through the cooking time.
- Remove wings from the air fryer. When wings are golden brown and have reached 165°F (74°C) or higher in the thickest part remove from the air fryer. Toss with your favorite sauce and enjoy!
How to serve chicken wings
Chicken wings are best served with a great dipping sauce, and something fresh and crunchy on the side. Ranch sauce with celery and carrots on the side is a classic, but blue cheese sauce with cos, or jerk sauce with sliced bell peppers are also great combinations!
Storing and reheating
Store any leftover chicken wings in an air-tight container in the refrigerator, and use within 3 days.
You can reheat the chicken wings in the air fryer, air fry for 3-4 minutes until warmed through. Alternatively, you can reheat them in the microwave, 1-2 minutes on high.
📋 Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe
How to cook lemon pepper chicken wings in an air fryer (dry rub method).
- 2lb split chicken wings
- Olive oil spray
- 3 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat the air fryer to 355°F (180°C) Spray air fryer basket with olive oil.
- Pat chicken wings dry and place in a large bowl. Add dry rub ingredients on top and rub into the chicken.
- Place chicken wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket skin-side down.
- Air fry wings for 20 minutes, flipping them over half way through the cooking time, until they are golden brown.
- Use an instant read thermometer to ensure that the wings have reached the safe temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Toss with your favorite sauce, and serve.
- You can substitute 6 teaspoons lemon pepper store-bought dry rub.
- Cook times vary. Always confirm safe internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) has been reached at the thickest part before consuming.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 777Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 1288mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 39g
You may also like:
- Air fryer easy BBQ chicken wings
- Air fryer frozen chicken wings
- Air fryer chicken tenders
- Air fryer chicken recipes
Looking for more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!
*This blog post contains affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a cent more – thanks in advance for your support!
Welcome to Love Food Not Cooking!
I’m Eliza, busy mom, home cook, and blogger. My goal is to help everyone cook good food. Whether you are short on time, skills, or motivation, there is something here for you! We have dozens of quick and easy recipes for dinner, lunch, side dishes, and more. Our recipes use everyday ingredients, for quick delicious meals your family will love! Read more…