If you’re really short on time, but still want a healthy dinner, try this quick Thai inspired beef salad bowl. Tons of fresh veges and lean sirloin beef, topped with crispy noodles for a little crunch.
I love this recipe for a quick Thai beef salad. It is full of delicious fresh vegetables (carrots, capsicum, cucumber, lettuce), has lean protein (sirloin beef steaks), and two types of noodles.
If you wanted to make a low-carb version of this salad you could leave out the vermicelli noodles, or for a gluten-free version you could omit the crispy noodles. But I would really recommend including both. I love noodles (could you guess?).
One of the reasons I love vermicelli noodles is because of how darn easy they are to cook. Cover with boiling water, gently separate the strands with a fork, leave for five minutes, and drain. Yes it really is as easy as that!
The recipe calls for Thai spice mix to season the beef. If you want to mix your own you can use flavors such as cumin, lemon pepper, chili powder, coriander seed powder. I always have five spice on hand at home and that will do in a pinch.
In this recipe I pan fry the steaks, but you could just as easily grill or air fry them. However you cook them it is important that you rest them for at least five minutes after cooking. This gives you the perfect time to assemble the rest of the salad, before topping it with the beef.
I often use sweet chili sauce as a dressing for this salad, but as an alternative you could try mixing 1 tablespoon fish sauce, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, 1 teaspoon brown sugar for a light homemade option.
How to make quick Thai beef salad bowls.
- 2 medium sirloin steaks
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Thai spice mix or five spice
- 4 oz vermicelli rice noodles
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 capsicum
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 1/2 lettuce
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp Sweet chili or other Thai style dressing
- 1 cup crispy noodles, optional, omit for gluten-free
- Bring a pot of water to the boil.
- Thinly slice capsicum, lettuce and cucumber, peel carrot into ribbons.
- Remove the pot of boiling water from the heat, and place noodles into the boiling water. Use a fork to separate the strands. Cover and leave for 5 minutes while you cook the beef.
- Pat beef dry, drizzle with sesame oil and sprinkle with Thai spices.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a fry-pan. Cook beef for approximately 3 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the pan and place on a plate. Cover with foil, and leave to rest for 5 minutes while you prep the salad bowls.
- Drain the noodles well, add 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil and toss to combine.
- Add noodles and sliced salad ingredients to serving bowls.
- Slice the beef against the grain, and serve on the noodle sald. Drizzle Thai dressing over the food, then top with crunchy noodles and coriander.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 574Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 551mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 5gSugar: 16gProtein: 26g