What should you cook first in your new air fryer? Check out this list of the top 10 things to make in an air fryer for crispy, crunchy results you’ll want to make again and again! Level up your air fryer game with these recipes, which have to be the best things to cook in an air fryer!
Air fryers have become increasingly popular in recent years, and for good reason.
They are designed to mimic the cooking process of deep-frying, but use a fraction of the oil to create a similar effect. This allows you to enjoy your favorite fried foods with less oil, making them a healthier alternative to other frying methods.
Essentially, an air fryer works by circulating hot air around the food to cook it, which results in a crispy and crunchy texture on the outside while keeping the inside moist and tender.
This style of cooking is better for some foods than others, because the action of the hot air can dry out some foods before they are cooked through, giving you disappointing results.
After years of experience using an air fryer, I’ve learned what the best foods to air fry are and am excited to share them with you in this article. Whether you’re a seasoned air fryer user or just getting started, you’re sure to find something delicious to add to your meal plan.
The Top 10 Things To Cook in an Air Fryer
1. French Fries
Air fryers are great for making crispy and delicious french fries with a fraction of the oil you would need for deep frying. There are a few tricks to getting them crispy, so check out the recipe for all the details: Air Fryer French Fries
2. Chicken Wings
Air fryers can make crispy and juicy chicken wings in no time. You can season them with your favorite spices and sauces for a personalized taste, and you can even cook them from frozen!
3. Pork Chops
Try cooking pork chops in the air fryer for tender and juicy pork chops with a crispy crust on the outside. You can even cook them along with a side of potatoes.
Air fryers are excellent for roasting mixed vegetables, or just about any vegetable on their own, such as Brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots, and zucchini. They are a great option for a quick and easy side dish and can be seasoned with your favorite herbs and spices, giving them a crispy and flavorful taste.
Air fryers can make steak that is seared on the outside and juicy on the inside. It’s a quick and convenient way to cook steak without the need for a grill or stovetop.
>> Get the recipe: Air Fryer Steak
Air fryers are perfect for cooking fish, especially for those who don’t like the smell of fish throughout the house. Fish cooked in an air fryer come out crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, and best of all it cooks in mere minutes.
7. Baked Potatoes
Air frying is a quick and easy way to make baked potatoes. They are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside without needing to be in the oven for an hour.
8. Sweet Potato Fries or Wedges
Air fryers can make sweet potato fries that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. They are a healthy alternative to regular french fries and can be seasoned with herbs and spices for added flavor.
9. Chicken Breast
Chicken breast is a great cut of meat to cook in an air fryer, as they come out juicy and flavorful with a crispy skin on the outside. They are perfect for a quick and easy mid-week meal, because of the hands-off cooking method and quick cook time.
You can even air fry them from frozen, or cook them along with a side dish if you get the cooking times right.
10. Just about any frozen foods
Frozen foods that would normally be oven baked or fried from frozen are a great option to cook in your air fryer. They always come out perfectly crispy, and it is so much quicker and more convenient than cooking in an oven or deep frying.
Air frying tips
Air fryers are a convenient and easy-to-use appliance, but there are a few tips and tricks that can help you get the most out of your air fryer. Here are some important things to keep in mind when using an air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer – Just like an oven, it’s important to preheat your air fryer before cooking. This will ensure that the food cooks evenly and comes out crispy. Preheating takes only a few minutes, so it’s worth the extra effort.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket – To get the best results, don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. This can prevent the hot air from circulating around the food and result in uneven cooking. Make sure there’s enough space between the food items to allow for proper airflow.
- Use the right amount of oil – While air fryers require less oil than traditional frying, it’s still important to use the right amount of oil for the best results. Too little oil can result in dry food, while too much oil can make it greasy. A light mist of oil or a brush of oil can help the food become crispy and golden.
- Use the right type of oil. – Choose a cooking oil with a high smoke point to use in your air fryer as this reduces the chance that your air fryer will start to smoke during cooking. I like to use light olive oil, but vegetable oil, corn oil, canola oil or avocado oil are all good topns.
- Experiment with different foods – Don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of food in the air fryer. It’s a versatile appliance that can cook a variety of foods, from vegetables to meat to desserts. Try out different recipes and see what works best for you!