This delicious Instant Pot creamy chicken pasta is easy to make, with minimal prep required, and is packed with flavor. The combination of chicken, pasta, and creamy sauce is sure to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. Plus it uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s made in the Instant Pot, so you can have a tasty meal on the table in no time.
- The creamy sauce is made with a blend of cream cheese and sour cream, giving it a rich, delicious flavor
- Because it’s made in the Instant Pot, you don’t have to worry about monitoring a pot on the stove
Scroll down for the printable card for this [title] recipe, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
Electric pressure cooker
This recipe uses an Instant Pot, but you can use any brand of electric pressure cooker or multicooker with a pressure cook function.
Full ingredients list and quantities are given in the recipe card below.
This recipe uses boneless skinless chicken breast cut into cubes. You could also use chicken thighs.
This recipe requires one medium onion. It needs to be chopped, and should give you around 1 cup once chopped. You can use a yellow, brown or white onion.
Onion soup mix
Onion soup mix adds flavor and depth to the dish, and helps the sauce to thicken. Onion soup mix is a blend of dehydrated onions, herbs, and spices that can be used as a seasoning or base for soups and stews.
Cream of mushroom soup
You will need one small can of cream of mushroom soup. I like to use Campbells cream of mushroom soup, but any brand will do.
Uncooked dried pasta/ egg noodles
You can use just about any pasta shapes, but fusili, penne, shells or farfalle are the best, as their chunky shapes is less prone to overcooking in the Instant Pot.
This recipe uses chicken broth, but you can substitute chicken stock, or vegetable stock.
This adds a savoriness and depth of flavor to the dish. You can skip it if you don’t have it or are not keen on the flavor.
Mushrooms add a savory, earthy flavor to the dish. You can use button mushrooms, brown mushrooms, flat mushrooms, or portabella mushrooms.
Be sure to slice the mushrooms into even slices so they cook evenly.
This needs to be cubed, and is best used at room temperature as this will allow it to melt more easily into the pasta.
The recipe below uses sour cream, but you can substitute creme fraiche (note: creme fraiche has a higher fat content than sour cream).
Freshly chopped parsley and/or freshly ground black pepper are used for a garnish in this recipe, and can be added to taste.
How to cook creamy chicken pasta in an Instant Pot
This recipe is very simple to make, there are just a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Layer the ingredients in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. They need to be added in this order: first the chopped onion and chicken, next the salt and pepper, soup mix, and cream of mushroom soup, then the egg noodles, and finally the chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, and mushrooms.
Do not stir the ingredients together.
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cooker for 3 minutes, using the “manual” or “pressure cook” program.
- When the pressure cooking has finished, allow the Instant Pot to depessurize naturally for 10 minutes, and then use quick release to release the remaining pressure and carefully open the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the cream cheese until it has melted, then add the sour cream and stir it in too.
- If there are any pasta noodles that need a little more cooking time place the lid back on the Instant Pot and use the keep warm function until all the pasta has softened.
Serve the creamy chicken pasta garnished with parsley and a light sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.
This dish is great served with a light green salad, and garlic bread.
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Pasta
- 1 medium onion chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 2 lb / 900 g boneless skinless chicken breast cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 10.5 oz / 300 g cream of mushroom soup 1 can
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta/ egg noodles [Note 1]
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounce sliced mushrooms
- 4 ounces / 120 g cream cheese cubed
- ½ cup sour cream
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper for garnish
- In the liner of the electric pressure cooker, layer the ingredients in this order: onions, chicken, seasonings, soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, egg noodles, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, and mushrooms. Do not stir.
- Program the electric pressure cooker with “manual” or “pressure cook” for 3 minutes.
- When the pressure cook time is up, allow the pressure cooker to naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes before performing a quick release of the remaining pressure.
- Stir in the cream cheese until melted. Then, stir in the sour cream.
- If there are any uncooked noodles/ pasta pieces in the dish, replace the lid and use the 'Keep Warm' function until they have softened.
- Serve garnished with parsley and/or black pepper, if desired.
- You can use just about any pasta shapes, but fusili, penne, shells or farfalle are the best, as their chunky shape makes them less prone to overcooking in the Instant Pot.
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.