This warm and hearty white bean chicken chili cooks quickly in the Instant Pot making it perfect for a midweek meal after a busy day or for a game day lunch.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to make white chicken chili in the Instant Pot
While most people think of chili as a winter dish, this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is perfect for summer. Made with chicken, white beans, and green chilies, it’s a lighter take on traditional chili that is perfect for a summer night.
It is hearty and filling, but not too heavy. The white beans and chicken give it a light, yet satisfying flavor.
Plus, it can be made in under an hour, so it’s perfect for a weeknight meal.
Scroll down for the printable card for this Instant Pot white bean chicken chili, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
Instant Pot or another pressure cooker
I use an Instant Pot to make this recipe, but you can use any brand of electric pressure cooker or a multicooker with a pressure cook function.
Key ingredients and substitutions
This recipe uses boneless, skinless chicken breasts. However, you could substitute boneless chicken thighs if you prefer.
You will need 3 cups of chicken broth, or you can use chicken stock if that is what you have to hand. I like to use low sodium broth.
This recipe requires 2 cans of white beans (15 ounces each). Once drained, this will give you around 15oz of beans.
I generally use cannellini beans, but navy beans, great northern beans, or baby lima beans are all great options.
This recipe requires four cloves of minced garlic. If you have minced garlic in a jar you will need to use around 4 teaspoons. Alternatively, you can substitute 1 teaspoon garlic powder if that is all you have.
To make this a creamy white chicken chili, this recipe uses cream cheese, to be stirred through the chili once it is cooked. This is easiest to do if the cheese is cubed and at room temperature.
Seasonings, herbs and spices
- Canned chopped green chiles – I’d recommend using the mild kind unless you like heat!
- Ground cumin
- Fresh chopped cilantro – you can skip the cilantro if you are not a fan.
I like to add tortilla strips, shredded cheese, and lime wedges for a garnish. However, you can get creative and add any other garnishes that you like with chili. Try sliced avocado, sour cream, chopped red onions, sliced scallions, chopped tomatoes, or your other favorite toppings.
How to make the BEST white bean chicken chili in the Instant Pot
This white chicken chili is very simple to prepare, but there are a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Sauté the onion garlic and chicken. Sauté the onion, then add the garlic and chicken breast, searing this chicken breast on all sides. This releases the flavors from the onion and garlic, keeps the chicken from sticking together, and helps to keep it succulent.
- Pressure cook the chili. Add the chicken broth, beans, green chiles, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Stir well and then secure the lid with the valve set to “Sealing”. Set to pressure cook on high for 12 minutes.
- Quick release. When the cooking cycle is complete, perform a quick release of the pressure to open the pressure cooker. This prevents the chicken from becoming overcooked.
- Mix in the cream cheese. Add the cubed cream cheese into the chili, and stir until it is melted and thoroughly mixed in. Add the cilantro and stir to distribute.
- Serve and enjoy! Topped with tortilla strips or your favorite garnishes.
More delicious Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love!
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Chili Con Carne
- Instant Pot French Onion Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken and Pumpkin Risotto
How to cook white chicken chili in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced [Note 1]
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 white beans (15 oz cans) [Note 2], drained and rinsed
- 1 (7 oz) can chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed and at room temperature
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Tortilla strips, cheese, lime wedges, or other garnishes as desired
- Heat the electric pressure cooker using the "saute" function until "hot."
- Add the olive oil and the onion, cooking for about 3 minutes or until the onion has softened.
- Stir in the garlic and cubed chicken breast, cooking just until the chicken is white on all sides.
- Place the chicken broth, beans, green chiles, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Stir well and then lock the lid into place, setting the valve to "Sealing".
- Program the electric pressure cooker to “manual” or "pressure cook" for 12 minutes. When the cooking cycle is complete, perform a quick release of the pressure.
- Add the cream cheese into the chili, and stir until melted. Add the chopped cilantro and stir to distribute.
- Serve chili topped with tortilla strips or your favorite garnishes.
- You can substitute 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- You can use cannellini beans, navy beans, great northern beans, or baby lima beans.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 563Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 232mgSodium: 1266mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 76g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like:
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!