Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is quick, easy, healthy and packed full of nutritious ingredients. This is a perfect dinner for a busy weeknight.
How to Cook Chicken Tortilla Soup in an Instant Pot
This recipe for Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorites for a low-effort, high-flavor simple week-night dinner. It is basically the same as my slow cooker chicken tortilla soup, but converted for the Instant Pot.
This is the recipe I use if I wasn’t organized enough to set it cooking in the slow cooker before I go to work. minutes vs the slow cooker option which is ready as soon as I walk in the door.
How to Prepare
This is a very easy recipe to prepare, basically you just put all the ingredients in the Instant Pot, and set to pressure cook for 5 minutes. Yes, it really is as simple as that!
Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
Pantry staples and a chicken breast are all you need for the basic soup:
- Chicken breast – you can also use chicken thighs if that is what you have on hand.
- Spice/seasoning – use nacho, taco, fajita or other Mexican-style seasoning. The beauty of this is you can make it as spicy (or not) as you like, or vary the flavor by using a different type of spice.
- Canned tomatoes – chopped is best, but you can use whole, and break them up with a wooden spoon once finished cooking.
- Canned corn kernels – drain before use.
- Canned beans – black beans, kidney beans, mixed beans, your choice. Drain before use.
- Chicken stock – you can also use chicken broth.
- Tortilla chips – crush them and sprinkle on top to serve.
This soup is delicious on its own, but I highly recommend also adding a few of these optional extras like sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, chili flakes, and fresh cilantro. Divine!
How to cook chicken tortilla soup in an Instant Pot.
- 2 small chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 sachet (1.5oz) nacho seasoning (or other Mexican-style seasoning)
- 1 can corn kernels
- 1 can beans (black beans or kidney beans)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 4 handfuls of tortilla chips (crushed)
- 1 avocado
- 1 pot sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Chili flakes (optional)
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Add the chicken, seasoning, canned ingredients and stock to the Instant Pot.
- Ensure the dial is set to 'Sealing', and set to pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, carefully release the pressure by turning the dial to 'Venting'.
- Remove chicken breasts, and shred using two forks. Place shredded chicken back in the soup, and mix it in.
- Serve tortilla soup with chopped avocado, grated cheese, sour cream and corn chips on top.
- Garnish with chili flakes and fresh cilantro.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 664Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 949mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 11gSugar: 12gProtein: 35g
You may also like: