This Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is quick, easy, healthy and packed full of nutritious ingredients. A perfect dinner for a busy weeknight.
Why you’ll love this recipe
This recipe for Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorites for a low-effort, high-flavor simple week-night dinner. It is basically the same as my slow cooker chicken tortilla soup, but converted for the Instant Pot.
This is the recipe I use if I wasn’t organized enough to set it cooking in the slow cooker before I go to work. It takes just minutes to cook vs the slow cooker option which takes all day but both are ready to eat within twenty minutes of walking through the door.
What do you need?
Pantry staples and a chicken breast are all you need for the basic soup:
You can also use chicken thighs if that is what you have on hand.
Use nacho, taco, fajita, or other Mexican-style seasoning. The beauty of this is you can make it as spicy (or not) as you like, or vary the flavor by using a different type of spice.
Chopped is best, but you can use whole canned tomatoes, and break them up with a wooden spoon once finished cooking.
Canned corn kernels
Drain before use.
You can use black beans, kidney beans, mixed beans, your choice. Drain before use.
You can also use chicken broth.
How to make chicken tortilla soup in an Instant Pot
This is a very easy recipe to prepare:
- Put all the ingredients (minus the tortilla chips) in the Instant Pot and set it to pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, release the pressure. Remove the chicken breast, shred it using two forks, and return it to the pot.
Yes, it really is as simple as that!
This soup is delicious on its own, but I highly recommend also adding a few of these optional extras:
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Chili flakes
- Fresh chopped cilantro
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 small chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 sachet 1.5oz nacho seasoning (or other Mexican-style seasoning)
- 1 can corn kernels
- 1 can beans black beans or kidney beans
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 4 handfuls of tortilla chips crushed
- 1 avocado
- 1 pot sour cream
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Chili flakes optional
- Fresh cilantro optional
- Add the chicken, seasoning, canned ingredients and stock to the Instant Pot.
- Ensure the dial is set to ‘Sealing’, and set to pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, carefully release the pressure by turning the dial to ‘Venting’.
- Remove chicken breasts, and shred using two forks. Place shredded chicken back in the soup, and mix it in.
- Serve tortilla soup with chopped avocado, grated cheese, sour cream and corn chips on top.
- Garnish with chili flakes and fresh cilantro.