Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is quick, easy, healthy and packed full of nutritious ingredients. This is a perfect dinner for a busy weeknight.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to Cook Chicken Tortilla Soup in an Instant Pot
This recipe for Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorites for a low-effort, high-flavor simple week-night dinner. It is basically the same as my slow cooker chicken tortilla soup, but converted for the Instant Pot.
This is the recipe I use if I wasn’t organized enough to set it cooking in the slow cooker before I go to work. minutes vs the slow cooker option which is ready as soon as I walk in the door.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
Pantry staples and a chicken breast are all you need for the basic soup:
- Chicken breast – you can also use chicken thighs if that is what you have on hand.
- Spice/seasoning – use nacho, taco, fajita or other Mexican-style seasoning. The beauty of this is you can make it as spicy (or not) as you like, or vary the flavor by using a different type of spice.
- Canned tomatoes – chopped is best, but you can use whole, and break them up with a wooden spoon once finished cooking.
- Canned corn kernels – drain before use.
- Canned beans – black beans, kidney beans, mixed beans, your choice. Drain before use.
- Chicken stock – you can also use chicken broth.
- Tortilla chips – crush them and sprinkle on top to serve.
This is a very easy recipe to prepare. Basically you just put all the ingredients in the Instant Pot, and set to pressure cook for 5 minutes. Yes, it really is as simple as that!
This soup is delicious on its own, but I highly recommend also adding a few of these optional extras:
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Chili flakes
- Fresh chopped cilantro.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
How to cook chicken tortilla soup in an Instant Pot.
- 2 small chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 sachet (1.5oz) nacho seasoning (or other Mexican-style seasoning)
- 1 can corn kernels
- 1 can beans (black beans or kidney beans)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 4 handfuls of tortilla chips (crushed)
- 1 avocado
- 1 pot sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Chili flakes (optional)
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Add the chicken, seasoning, canned ingredients and stock to the Instant Pot.
- Ensure the dial is set to 'Sealing', and set to pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, carefully release the pressure by turning the dial to 'Venting'.
- Remove chicken breasts, and shred using two forks. Place shredded chicken back in the soup, and mix it in.
- Serve tortilla soup with chopped avocado, grated cheese, sour cream and corn chips on top.
- Garnish with chili flakes and fresh cilantro.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 664Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 949mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 11gSugar: 12gProtein: 35g
You may also like:
- Instant Pot Potato and Leek Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Mushroom Risotto
- Instant Pot Chicken and Pumpkin Risotto
- Instant Pot Recipes
*This blog post contains affiliate links, this means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a cent more – thanks in advance for your support!