This simple Instant Pot chicken risotto is delicious and nutritious – packed with vegetables, pumpkin, leek and zucchini. A classic winter warmer made in no time in your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Chicken and Pumpkin Risotto
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 10 oz chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 7 oz pumpkin chunks (peeled, buy precut if you can)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek
- 1 zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp oregano fresh or dried
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- Finely slice 1 leek. Crush or chop 2 garlic cloves.
- Cut pumpkin into chunks and grate the zucchini.
- Cut 10 oz chicken thighs into 1in. chunks.
Prepare the risotto
- Set instant Pot to ‘Sauté’. Add a drizzle of olive oil.
- When it is hot, add the chicken and 1 teaspoon of paprika, and cook until starting to brown (approx. 3 minutes).
- Add the pumpkin and cook until starting to soften (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the leek, garlic and oregano and cook until softened and fragrant (approx 3 minutes).
- Add 1 cup of arborio rice, and stir to coat with the liquid in the pan.
- Add 2 cups of water, and crumble in 2 chicken stock cubes. Stir to release all the cooking residues from the pot, then allow it to come to the boil.
Pressure cook the risotto
- When the risotto has come to the boil, press 'Cancel' to end the Sauté program.
- Close and lock the Instant Pot lid. Ensure that the steam release handle valve is set to ‘Sealing’.
- Press the ‘Pressure cook’ button, and set it to pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, use the quick release option to open the Instant Pot (press ‘Cancel’ then carefully turn the steam release handle to the ‘Venting’ position). When the float valve has dropped, open the Instant Pot.
- Stir through 1 tablespoon of butter and the grated zucchini, then serve topped with the Parmesan cheese.
You may also like: Instant Pot Chicken and Mushroom Risotto