Cozy up with a bowl of homemade Instant Pot potato and leek soup! 🍲🥔 This recipe is easy, delicious, and perfect for chilly days. Simply sauté the leeks, add potatoes, stock and seasonings, and let your Instant Pot do the rest!
Why you’ll love this recipe
Potato and leek soup makes a great winter lunch or dinner. There is just something so comforting about it, it is like a big hug in a bowl. And since it’s packed full of vegetables, it’s healthy too!
This comforting and creamy soup is a staple during the colder months, and the Instant Pot makes it even easier to whip up a batch.
Scroll down for the printable card for this Instant Pot potato leek soup recipe, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
An electric pressure cooker
I used an Instant Pot to make this recipe, but you can use another electric pressure cooker or a multi-cooker with a pressure-cook function.
An immersion blender
A stick blender also helps if you like your soups blended. This soup has such a lovely creamy texture I would definitely recommend blending it, though you can skip that step if you prefer a chunky leek and potato soup.
Key ingredients and substitutions
Potatoes are the star of the soup, adding a creamy and hearty texture. You can use any type of potato, such as Yukon gold, red potatoes, or russet potatoes. Be sure to cube them evenly so they cook evenly in the Instant Pot.
Leeks are a staple ingredient in this soup, giving it a sweet and subtle onion flavor. Be sure to thoroughly clean the leeks as they can have dirt trapped between their layers. To clean the leeks, slice them lengthwise and rinse them under running water.
Olive oil and butter
The recipe below uses a combination of olive oil and butter is used to sauté the leeks and garlic in the Instant Pot. The olive oil adds a fruity and savory flavor, while the butter adds a rich and creamy texture to the soup. If you prefer, you can use all olive oil or all butter for this step.
Garlic adds a pungent and aromatic flavor to the soup. You can use either minced or pressed garlic for this recipe, depending on your preference.
Chicken or vegetable stock
The stock is used as the base of the soup and provides a rich and savory flavor. You can use either chicken or vegetable stock, depending on your dietary restrictions or preferences.
A bay leaf is added to the soup to infuse it with an herbal and slightly sweet flavor. Be sure to remove the bay leaf before blending the soup.
Sour cream is added at the end to give the soup a tangy and creamy finish. You can substitute the sour cream with heavy cream, or coconut cream, depending on your dietary restrictions or preferences.
How to make potato leek soup in the Instant Pot
This recipe is very simple to make, there are just a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Use the Sauté program to cook the leeks and garlic in the butter and oil until softened and fragrant.
- Add the stock and deglaze the pot. Simply use a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to scrape down the side and bottom of the inner pot to remove any cooked on ‘goodness’. This adds flavor to the soup and will also prevent a ‘burn’ error when pressure cooking.
- Add the bay leaf, salt, pepper, and the potatoes, then pressure cook for 7 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot finishes pressure cooking, allow it to naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes. Then manually release the remaining steam.
- Remove the bay leaf, then use a stick blender to puree it to your desired texture. Stir through the sour cream and serve.
Full instructions are given in the recipe card below.
When it comes to serving Instant Pot potato and leek soup, there are many options to choose from. Serve it with a slice of crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich for a simple and satisfying meal.
Or, if you’re looking for a lighter option, a simple salad on the side is a great way to balance out the richness of the soup. A mixed greens salad with a tangy vinaigrette is a perfect complement to the soup’s creamy texture.
You can also try adding some toppings to the soup such as crispy bacon bits, sliced scallions, croutons, or a dollop of sour cream to add some extra texture and flavor.
Instant Pot Potato & Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 4-5 large leeks sliced
- 3 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb potatoes cubed
- 6 ounces sour cream
- Prepare the leeks potatoes and garlic.
- Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot. When the display reads 'Hot', add the olive oil and the butter.
- When the butter is melted, add the leeks and cook until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the stock and stir. Scrape down the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any cooked on 'goodness' (this will also prevent a 'burn' error when pressure cooking).
- Add the bay leaf, salt, pepper, and the potatoes.
- Press cancel to end the saute program, then lock the lid into position on the pot and set the steam release valve to 'Sealing'.
- Select 'Pressure Cook' (or 'Manual'), and set it to cook for 7 minutes.
- When the pressure cooking time is up, allow it to naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes. Then manually release the remaining steam.
- Carefully open the Instant Pot, stir the soup and remove the bay leaf.
- Use a stick blender to puree the soup to your desired texture.
- Stir through the sour cream, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.