This recipe for creamy tomato soup using canned tomatoes is rich and creamy, and bursting with flavor. It is also super quick and easy, and can be made from pantry (and fridge) staples.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to make creamy tomato soup using canned tomatoes
It is the start of fall, and oh my gosh I am so excited for soup season! Who can resist a bowl of delicious creamy tomato soup?
Tomato soup is so warming and comforting, perfect for when the nights start to get cooler and darker.
This recipe makes for a perfect lunch or light dinner. Especially if you team it with a grilled cheese sandwich or a slab of crusty bread.
Tomato Soup Ingredients
- Canned whole tomatoes: These add the main flavor to the soup, so don’t skimp on quality. You can use chopped canned tomatoes instead, but I find that whole canned tomatoes have more flavor.
- Tomato Paste: a little tomato paste to increase the richness of the tomato flavor.
- Brown onion: sautéed onion adds to the richness of the flavor of the soup.
- Butter: I prefer sautéing the onion in butter because it adds a sweet, creaminess to the soup.
- Sugar: a little sugar adds a touch of sweetness, and really brings out the flavor of the tomatoes. If you don’t want to use refined white sugar you can substitute honey, or coconut sugar.
- Heavy Cream: adding heavy cream after cooking gives this tomato soup a smooth and creamy flavor. Heavy cream mixes well with tomato, but be sure to add it slowly to reduce the chance of curdling.
How to cook tomato soup using canned tomatoes.
- 1 large brown onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 28 oz (2 cans) of whole tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1-2 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt to taste
- Dice onion.
- Heat butter in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot and the butter melted, add the onion and fry until translucent (2-3 minutes).
- Add the canned tomatoes (with juice), tomato paste, water and optional sugar.
- Use a wooden spoon to break up the whole tomatoes, and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for around 10 minutes, until the liquid starts to reduce.
- Remove from heat and blend to desired consistency with an immersion blender.
- Gradually stir in the cream (see note below), and season to taste with salt.
- Serve with crusty bread, or a grilled cheese sandwich.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 393Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 303mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 11gSugar: 29gProtein: 10g
You may also like: