Spicy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup – quick to prepare, easy, healthy and hearty. A perfect dinner for a busy weeknight.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to Cook Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup in a Slow Cooker
This recipe for spicy chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorites for a low-effort, high-flavor simple week-night dinner. It is so quick and easy to prepare in the morning before you head off to work, and there is nothing better than coming home to a hot dinner.
Scroll down for the recipe card for this slow cooker spicy chicken tortilla soup, or read on for all the details!
Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
Pantry staples and a chicken breast are all you need for the basic soup:
- Chicken breast – you can also use chicken thighs if that is what you have on hand. Note: please don’t use frozen chicken in this recipe without defrosting it ahead of time. I know some bloggers say it is ok, but USDA advice is clear on this, so I won’t be taking the risk. Check this USDA Food Safety Information leaflet for more info: Slow Cookers and Food Safety.
- Spice/seasoning – use nacho, taco, fajita or other Mexican-style seasoning. The beauty of this is you can make it as spicy (or not) as you like.
- Canned tomatoes – chopped is best, but you can use whole, and break them up with a wooden spoon once finished cooking.
- Canned corn kernels – drain before use.
- Canned beans – black beans, kidney beans, mixed beans, your choice. Drain before use.
- Chicken stock – you could also use broth
- Tortilla chips – crush them and sprinkle on top, or use as a spoon!
I highly recommend also adding a few of these optional extras like sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, chili flakes, fresh cilantro.
Being a slow-cooker soup recipe, it is super simple to put together. Basically you just put all the ingredients in the slow cooker, and set to cook for 8 hours on low, or 4 hours on high. Yes, it really is as simple as that!
I like to prep all the ingredients the night before so I can just toss them all in the slow cooker in the morning before heading off to work, and then spend all day looking forward to coming home to a cooked dinner!
Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
How to cook spicy chicken tortilla soup in a slow cooker.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 sachet (1.5oz) nacho seasoning (or other Mexican-style seasoning)
- 1 can corn kernels
- 1 can beans (black beans or kidney beans)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 avocado, to serve
- 1 pot sour cream, to serve
- 0.5 cup grated cheese, to serve
- 4 handfuls tortilla chips (crumbled), to serve
- Chili flakes, to serve (optional)
- Fresh cilantro
- Add the chicken, seasoning, canned ingredients and stock to slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours. Relax, get some stuff done, go to work, whatever.
- When the cooking time is up, remove chicken breasts, shred and place back in the soup.
- Serve with chopped avocado, grated cheese, sour cream and corn chips on top. Garnish with chili flakes and fresh cilantro.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 431Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 35g
You may also like:
*This blog post contains affiliate links, this means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a cent more – thanks in advance for your support!