Spicy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup – quick to prepare, easy, healthy and hearty. A perfect dinner for a busy weeknight.
How to Cook Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup in a Slow Cooker
This recipe for spicy chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorites for a low-effort, high-flavor simple week-night dinner.
How to Prepare
Being a slow-cooker soup recipe, it is super simple to put together. Basically you just put all the ingredients in the slow cooker, and set to cook for 8 hours on low, or 4 hours on high. Yes, it really is as simple as that!
I like to prep all the ingredients the night before so I can just toss them all in the slow cooker in the morning before heading off to work, and then spend all day looking forward to coming home to a cooked dinner!
Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
Pantry staples and a chicken breast are all you need for the basic soup:
- Chicken breast – you can also use chicken thighs if that is what you have on hand. Note: please don’t use frozen chicken in this recipe without defrosting it ahead of time. I know some bloggers say it is ok, but USDA advice is clear on this, so I won’t be taking the risk. Check this USDA Food Safety Information leaflet for more info: Slow Cookers and Food Safety.
- Spice/seasoning – use nacho, taco, fajita or other Mexican-style seasoning. The beauty of this is you can make it as spicy (or not) as you like.
- Canned tomatoes – chopped is best, but you can use whole, and break them up with a wooden spoon once finished cooking.
- Canned corn kernels – drain before use.
- Canned beans – black beans, kidney beans, mixed beans, your choice. Drain before use.
- Chicken stock – you could also use broth
- Tortilla chips – crush them and sprinkle on top, or use as a spoon!
I highly recommend also adding a few of these optional extras like sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, chili flakes, fresh cilantro.
Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
How to cook spicy chicken tortilla soup in a slow cooker.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 sachet (1.5oz) nacho seasoning (or other Mexican-style seasoning)
- 1 can corn kernels
- 1 can beans (black beans or kidney beans)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 avocado, to serve
- 1 pot sour cream, to serve
- 0.5 cup grated cheese, to serve
- 4 handfuls tortilla chips (crumbled), to serve
- Chili flakes, to serve (optional)
- Fresh cilantro
- Add the chicken, seasoning, canned ingredients and stock to slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours. Relax, get some stuff done, go to work, whatever.
- When the cooking time is up, remove chicken breasts, shred and place back in the soup.
- Serve with chopped avocado, grated cheese, sour cream and corn chips on top. Garnish with chili flakes and fresh cilantro.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 431Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 35g
You may also like: