This Instant Pot mushroom risotto recipe is one of my favorites for a quick and easy dinner in wintertime. Warming and hearty, and packed full of nutritious mushrooms, This flavorful risotto recipe is sure to be a hit with vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.
You can use any type of mushrooms that you like, but I tend to use Portabello or brown mushrooms. I’d recommend staying away from button mushrooms as they can be rather tasteless and bland, and this is a dish where you want the flavor of the mushrooms to shine.
You can easily convert this recipe to a vegan risotto by swapping the butter for olive oil, and leaving out the Parmesan cheese or substituting nutritional yeast. Alternatively, if you are a cheese fiend (like me), feel free to load it up with extra Parmesan, or stir through some feta for some additional salty cheesy goodness!
This risotto goes great with a rocket and balsamic vinegar salad on the side, the peppery taste of rocket and acidic balsamic dressing balances the creamy risotto perfectly.
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 stalk celery finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion finely diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper
Prepare the risotto
- Set Instant Pot to 'Sauté'.
- When it is hot add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant (approx 2 minutes).
- Add the butter, mushrooms and celery and cook until soft (approx 4-5 minutes).
- Add the rice and stir for 1 minute until coated by the liquid in the pan.
- Add four cups of water and crumble stock cubes in.
- Stir to release all the cooking residues from the pot, then allow it to come to the boil.
Pressure cook the risotto
- Press ‘Cancel’ to end the Sauté program when the risotto has come to the boil.
- Close and lock the Instant Pot lid. Ensure that the steam release handle valve is set to ‘Sealing’.
- Press the ‘Pressure cook’ button, and set it to pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, use the quick release option to open the Instant Pot (press ‘Cancel’ then carefully turn the steam release handle to the ‘Venting’ position). When the float valve has dropped, open the Instant Pot.
- Stir through Parmesan, lemon zest and butter, season to taste. Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
You may also like: