This air fryer fish recipe with no breading is perfect for a quick and easy dinner any night of the week! It is healthy, quick and easy to prepare, and cooks in less time than it would take your oven to heat up.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Cooking white fish in the air fryer is a healthy option, it requires a fraction of the oil of traditional frying, and the fish does not sit in oil while it is cooking
- Because there is no breading, this recipe is a breeze to prepare (no messy breading station!), and it’s low in carbs too!
- This recipe can be easily adapted with different herbs and seasonings to your taste preference.
If you prefer a crumbed fish recipe, check out this recipe for Air Fryer Tilapia. It has a light panko crumb coating (and can be made using just about any white fish fillets).
Scroll down for the printable recipe card for cooking white fish in the air fryer, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
White fish fillets
This recipe uses fresh fish fillets. Some good options to use in this recipe are tilapia, cod, haddock, halibut, flounder and grouper. Choose sustainably caught fish if you can for a more environmentally friendly option.
Try to choose fish fillets that are a similar size and shape so that they will cook at the same rate.
The recipe below uses light olive oil, but you can substitute any other cooking oil with a high smoke point. Try vegetable oil, avocado oil, or corn oil.
When air frying, choose a cooking oil with a high smoke point to reduce the chance of your air fryer smoking.
This recipe uses a simple homemade seasoning mix made from Italian seasoning, garlic salt, smoked paprika, and black pepper. However, you can mix the seasoning up to suit your taste preferences.
You can substitute your favorite store-bought seasoning, or get a little more adventurous. Try:
- Swapping the Italian seasoning for Herbs de Provence
- Adding a little cayenne pepper to add some heat
- Add some lemon zest and chopped parsley for a burst of fresh flavor
The recipe also uses fresh lemon chunks, which steam during cooking to infuse a citrusy freshness into the fish. You can skip it if you prefer, or serve the fish with fresh lemon wedges on the side.
How to cook white fish in the air fryer
This recipe is very simple to make, but there are a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F / 200°C. Preheating is important when the cooking time is short, as in this recipe so that the food starts cooking immediately.
- Mix the seasoning with the oil, then brush it over the fish fillets. Try to get them evenly coated with the seasoning mixture.
- Place the fish in the air fryer basket, ensuring the fillets are not touching. The air needs to reach all sides so that they cook evenly. It is a good idea to place the fish fillets on a small square of parchment to prevent them from sticking to the air fryer basket (Note: some air fryer brands do not recommend using parchment, so check your manual if you are unsure).
- Add the lemon wedges to the air fryer basket, again trying to ensure they are not crowding the fish.
- Air fry fish fillets for 6-8 minutes until cooked through and the fish flakes easily with a fork. Air fry for additional 1-2 minute intervals if required.
How long to cook fish in the air fryer
Air fryer fish cooking times will vary depending on the size and type of fish used, as well as the brand of air fryer.
As a general rule, fish fillets that are about ½ inch thick will take around 6-8 minutes to cook in the air fryer at 400°F / 200°C.
However, it’s always recommended to check the internal temperature of the fish to ensure that it has reached a safe temperature. According to the USDA, fish should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145°F / 63°C to be safe to eat.
It’s always better to check the temperature of the fish earlier than later to avoid over-cooking it.
For a healthy and complete meal, serve the air fried fish with a side of fresh steamed vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, or green beans. Add a side of mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash for a heartier meal. This fish is also perfect for making fish tacos or a fish sandwich.
To add some extra flavor, you can also serve the fish with a variety of sauces such as a lemon-dill sauce, tartar sauce, or salsa.
Here are some easy sides to go with this recipe:
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
- Microwave Green Beans
- Microwave Steamed Carrots
Air Fryer White Fish
- 4 white fish fillets [Note 1] about 6-8 oz / 200g each
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ large lemon cut into 4 pieces
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F / 200°C.
- Mix the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, smoked paprika, and black pepper together in a small bowl.
- Pat fish fillets dry, then brush each fillet with the olive oil mixture on both sides.
- Place fish in the air fryer basket on a small square of parchment or an air fryer liner [Note 2]. Arrange the lemon wedges around the fish fillets.
- Air fry fish for 6-8 minutes, or until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 145°F / 63°C, and flakes easily with a fork.
- Carefully remove the fish from the air fryer and serve immediately.
- You can use any white fish fillets. Cod, tilapia, haddock, halibut, grouper, and flounder are good choices.
- Check that it is ok to use parchment in your air fryer if you are unsure. You can cook it without parchment, but you may find that it sticks to the basket and is tricky to remove once cooked.
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.