Perfect, succulent air fryer chicken breast. This is the ultimate in no-fuss quick mid-week dinners, and as a bonus is paleo, gluten free and keto.
How to cook chicken breast in an air fryer
Air frying is a great way to cook chicken breast. You can grill or roast it by varying the mount of oil used (a light brush of oil for grilling, a little more for roasting). This air fried chicken breast recipe makes a great mid week dinner, so healthy, delicious, and easy to cook.
How to prepare air fryer chicken breast
I usually buy skinless chicken breast for air frying, but you can also use skin-on if you want more traditional roasted chicken breast with crispy skin.
To prepare, pat the chicken breast dry, drizzle with a little cooking oil, then add the seasoning and flip the chicken breast over to ensure it is coated with the seasoning on all sides.
For seasoning, I often use store-bought chicken spices [affiliate link], but you can easily make your own. Here are some that I also use:
- salt, ground pepper, paprika, and ground cumin
- basil pesto
- rosemary, thyme and a little salt if you want traditional style roasted chicken breast
How long to air fry chicken breast
The length of time you will need to cook the chicken breast in the air fryer depends on how large it is, in particular how thick. Expect it to take around 20 minutes, with a smaller thinner chicken breast being closer to 15 minutes, and a large chicken breast needing 25 minutes or more in the air fryer to cook through.
How do you know when its cooked?
You can tell when chicken is cooked because the juices run clear when you stick a knife in the thickest part. This is not something that you want to get wrong, as under-cooked chicken can be dangerous, so if you are at all unsure slice the chicken breast before serving to ensure it is cooked through (it should be white the whole way through, with no pink remaining).
The best and safest way to tell how long to cook a chicken breast in the air fryer is to use a meat thermometer. If you don’t have one, please consider getting one. Think of it as an investment, you will never again have to worry about whether your chicken is under-cooked, and will never ruin it by overcooking!
I recently discovered the Meater [affiliate link] – this is a truly wireless meat thermometer. It is like a skewer that you stick in the chicken and then uses Bluetooth to tell your phone when the meat is ready (you have to keep your phone nearby). I use it way more than I expected, and it is just perfect to use with an air fryer as there are no wires.
With chicken you are aiming for an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C), but remember that the temperature of the meat will continue to rise a little while it rests, so you can remove it from the air fryer when it reaches around 163°F, but continue to measure the temperature while it rests to ensure that it does reach the target!
What to serve with this recipe
For a super easy light dinner I often serve chicken breast with a side salad. But you could also try some easy vegetable sides like microwave steamed broccoli, microwave steamed carrots, or microwave corn cobs.
You can also cook sides in the air fryer as well as the chicken. This is the process I use:
- Pre-cook the vegetables ahead of the chicken, minus 5 minutes
- Remove them from the air fryer, place in a bowl and keep covered with kitchen foil while I cook the chicken
- When the chicken is finished air frying, remove to a plate to rest (reuse the foil from the vegetables)
- Toss the vegetables back in the air fryer and finish cooking for five minutes while the chicken rests.
How to cook chicken breast in an air fryer.
- 1 (7oz) chicken breast, skinless
- 1 tsp chicken seasoning
- olive oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F (200°C).
- Pat chicken breast dry, drizzle (or spray) with oil, and season with chicken spices.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil to help prevent the chicken breast from sticking.
- Place chicken breast in air fryer basket, and air fry for 15-20 minutes. The time will depend on how thick the chicken breast is, and will also vary depending on the type of air fryer you have.
- When the chicken is done remove it from the air fryer and rest covered with foil for 5 minutes. This step is important, as the chicken continues to cook while it is resting, and it allows the meat to reabsorb the juices so it stays moist.
- Chicken is cooked if the juices run clear when you stick a knife in the thickest part. If you are unsure check with a meat thermometer (internal temperature should be 165°F / 75°C), or slice the chicken breast before serving to ensure it is cooked through.
- Serve with salad, fresh vegetables or
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 263mgCarbohydrates: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 48g