This basic mashed potato recipe is perfect for a simple side dish that goes great with any meal. With only four ingredients, this recipe is easy to follow and only takes a few minutes to prepare.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
If you are in the mood for some classic comfort food, look no further than this basic mashed potato recipe. Mashed potatoes are a staple in most households, as they are so quick and easy to make.
This version is extremely simple to make and can be customized with your favorite toppings and seasonings.
The steps are very simple. Potatoes are boiled in salted water until they are soft, then mashed with some butter, milk, and salt to taste. If you like a very smooth texture you can use a hand-blender, but otherwise a regular potato masher or potato ricer will get the job done.
If you want to make them a bit more interesting, you can add in some shredded cheese, chopped green onions, or top with crunchy bacon bits. Or slather it in gravy, KFC-style (see How to Make Gravy from Stock for an easy recipe).
Try serving them with:
- Slow cooker beef stew
- Air fryer pork chops
- Air fryer sausages
- Air fryer chicken breast
- Instant Pot chuck roast
How to make basic mashed potatoes. Feel free to make any tasty additions you can think of (try Parmesan cheese, bacon bits, green onions, or chives).
- 2 lb (4 medium) potatoes, choose a nice fluffy variety like Idaho, Russet, King Edward or Maris Piper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Half fill a large saucepan with water and put on heat.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into approx. 1 inch chunks. Carefully place into the heating water (remember the water will be hot and may splash).
- Bring to the boil and cook until potatoes are tender but still firm, approximately 15 minutes. Drain
- Option 1: Use a potato masher or a fork to break the potatoes up, then slowly add the milk, butter, salt and pepper, blending into the potatoes until smooth.
- Option 2: Put the potatoes through a potato ricer, then blend the milk, butter, salt and pepper in.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
You may also like:
- Air fryer smashed potatoes
- Air fryer roast potatoes
- Air fryer potato wedges
- Instant Pot steamed potatoes
- Microwave steamed carrots
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!