These air fryer roast potatoes are perfectly golden and crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. They make the perfect side dish for just about any meal, and they’re so easy to make. Just a few simple ingredients and a quick blast in the air fryer, and you’ve got a delicious dish that the whole family will love.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- These air fryer roasted potatoes are quick and easy to make
- There are no messy roasting pans to deal with
- Roasted potatoes are so versatile, they are the perfect side dish for just about any meal
This is the ultimate recipe for air fryer potatoes. It is so simple to make, and the roasted potatoes are sensational. It is a recipe you will use again and again.
Air fried potatoes are awesome in so many ways, try some of my other crispy potato air fryer recipes like these air fryer French fries, air fryer smashed potatoes or air fryer potato wedges.
Scroll down for the recipe card for these crispy air fryer roast potatoes, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
If you like a soft fluffy roast potato with a crispy exterior then you need to choose a starchy variety of potatoes. Any of the following will be great:
- Russet potatoes
- Yellow varieties
- Maris Piper
- Red gold
- Yukon gold
- Most varieties of sweet potatoes
You will also find that all-purpose potatoes make good roast potatoes.
Alternatively, if you prefer roasted potatoes with a firmer texture then you can use a more waxy variety. Most red potatoes, white or fingerling/ baby potatoes are this type.
>> Related recipe: Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
I love a classic roasted potato seasoned with fresh rosemary and garlic, with a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper to really bring out the flavor.
I season the potatoes with salt and pepper, and then toss the fresh rosemary and garlic cloves into the air fryer basket with the seasoned potatoes to add flavor while they are cooking.
Some other seasonings you could try are:
- Add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder or onion powder
- Add 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning (basil, parsley, oregano)
- Substitute chicken salt for the sea salt
- Add 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning
I usually use light olive oil when roasting potatoes in the air fryer, but you can use any cooking oil with a high smoke point and a neutral flavor. Try vegetable oil, canola oil, or avocado oil.
When air frying, choose a cooking oil with a high smoke point to reduce the chance of your air fryer smoking.
The more oil you use, the crisper the potatoes will turn out (but also the less healthy they will be!). To make a healthier version of these roasted potatoes, you can use olive oil spray.
Note: but be sure to use the type that spritzes rather than an aerosol, as aerosol sprays can damage the non-stick coating of your air fryer basket.
How to roast potatoes in the air fryer
This recipe is very simple to make, but there are a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-2 inch sized pieces. The smaller they are, the quicker they will cook.
- Soak the potato pieces in cold water for at least 30 minutes. This is to remove the potato starch that forms on the outside of the potato pieces when they are peeled and cut. This is important if you want to get really crispy potatoes. If you are really short on time, you can just rinse them under running water, but you’ll get the best results from soaking them.
- Dry them thoroughly. The potatoes need to be dried thoroughly before air frying. This allows the cooking process to start straight away, without waiting for the surface moisture to dry out first. If you want really crisp roast potatoes, don’t skip this step!
- Place dried potato chunks in a large bowl, add oil, salt and pepper (or other seasoning you like), and toss potatoes to coat thoroughly in oil and seasoning.
- Place potatoes in air fryer basket, and add rosemary sprigs and garlic cloves.
- Air fry potatoes for 10 minutes, then give the basket a good shake to redistribute the potatoes. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until golden and crispy.
Air fryer roasted potatoes are the ideal side dish for a traditional roast dinner. However, they also go with just about any other type of meal you are preparing. Here are some ideas to try:
- Serve them topped with melted herb butter. Divine!
- Whip up a batch of this gravy made from stock, and slather the potatoes in it.
- Parmesan roasted potatoes: Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the roasted potatoes for a cheesy and savory flavor.
- Pesto roasted potatoes: Toss air fryer roast potatoes with pesto sauce for a delicious and easy side dish.
- Loaded potatoes: Top air fryer roast potatoes with bacon, sour cream, chives, and other toppings for a delicious treat.
Storing and reheating
Store any leftover roast potatoes in an air-tight container in the refrigerator, and use within 3 days.
You can reheat the potatoes in the air fryer, air fry for 3-4 minutes until warmed through (twice air-fried potatoes are the ultimate crispy potato dish!).
Freezing and reheating roast potatoes
You can also store leftover roast potatoes in the freezer if you want to keep them for longer:
- Spread the leftover roast potatoes on a baking tray baking tray and place in the freezer until the are frozen.
- Then transfer the frozen roast potatoes to freezer bags for storage.
You can air fry frozen roast potatoes from frozen to reheat them:
- Place the frozen roast potatoes in the air fryer
- Air fry at 360°F/ 180°C for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are heated through and crispy. Shake the basket every 5 minutes or so to redistribute the frozen potatoes and ensure they air fry evenly.
FAQ & Tips
If you want to prepare them ahead of time do not leave them exposed to air for too long as the cut edges can start to go brown. This is easily fixed by storing them in a bowl of water and popping them in the fridge.
There is no need to parboil potatoes before air frying. You can if you want to, and you may get slightly crispier potatoes. However, I find that pre-soaking them is enough to get them crispy (without the added effort).
Air Fryer Roast Potatoes
How to roast potatoes in an air fryer.
- 2lb/ 1kg potatoes [Note 1]
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (or kosher salt)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary (optional)
- 6 garlic cloves - lightly bashed (optional)
- Peel potatoes, and cut into chunks about 1-2 inches in size.
- Place cut potato pieces into a large bowl filled with cold water, and leave to soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and dry thoroughly with paper towels or a clean dish towel.
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F / 180°C.
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper to another large bowl, add the potato pieces and gently mix to coat.
- Place seasoned potatoes to air fryer basket. Add the Rosemary sprigs and garlic cloves.
- Roast potatoes in air fryer for 20-25 minutes, shaking the basket once or twice during cooking, until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Choose a roasting variety like russet potatoes, yellow varieties, Idaho, Maris Piper, Red gold, Yukon gold, or all purpose potatoes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 555mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.