Air fryer cooking, and in particular, converting regular recipes for the air fryer depends on having the right tools for the job. As a long-time air fryer user, and someone who enjoys finding new ways to cook with it, these are the air fryer accessories I would recommend getting, to help you get the best results from your air fryer.
- Oil sprayer – completely indispensable for air fryer cooking. Oil sprays allow you to just apply a very thin layer of oil to the food you are cooking, so that crispy food can be achieved without drowning the food in oil. This makes it healthier, while still creating crispy and delicious food. Many dishes can also be prepared without using oil at all, but I find a small spray really increases the tastiness and crispiness while still keeping calories low. Some olive oil brands produce a spray version of their oil, these are convenient but tend to be expensive. You can also get a refillable oil spray bottle that you just top up with regular olive oil – a much more cost-effective solution.
- Muffin cups or cupcake cases – for cooking individual or small batches of muffins or cupcakes. Reusable silicon ones are best.
- Tongs – useful for lifting food in and out of the air fryer basket without destroying it and/or burning yourself!
- A large pan that will fit within the air fryer basket is useful for making baked dishes like lasagna or macaroni cheese, or cakes and quiches. Check the dimensions of your air fryer before you buy, a 7in pan will fit most air fryers, but larger air fryers can fit up to 9in pans.
- Ramekins – great for cooking small individual portions. Be sure to get oven-safe ones that will withstand the high heat of the air fryer.
- Meat thermometer – used to check the internal temperature of meat to ensure it is cooked correctly. Check out our in-depth article for more on how to use a meat thermometer.
- Air fryer rack (with or without shelves) – these can be used to cook a larger amount of food at one time if it is something that you don’t want to pile up (e.g. bacon, chicken breasts, fish). Many air fryer brands have their own rack, but universal ones are also available that should fit most air fryers.
- Baking paper – this is useful for anything that is quite damp or soft before it is cooked (e.g. salmon or falafel). Place a small piece of baking paper underneath the food to stop it from sticking or falling through the basket while cooking. Just cut it to fit the food you are cooking so the flow of air is not obstructed more than it needs to be.
- Universal air fryer accessories sets are also available which include a variety of types of pan and other accessories. A popular option is this 8in air fryer accessories set available on Amazon, which includes a cake tin, a pizza pan, a toasting rack, food tongs, air fryer liners, muffin cups, oven mitts, and more. Be sure to check the dimensions of your air fryer before you purchase a set of accessories, and get the biggest set that will fit.