Air fryer flautas, or taquitos, are a delicious and easy to make snack or meal. All you need is a few simple ingredients and an air fryer. These flautas are crispy on the outside and filled with your favorite fillings. You can make them ahead of time and freeze them for a quick and easy meal.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Simple prep and quick to cook means they can be on the table in under 20 minutes for a quick and easy meal
- Because they are air fried, they’re a healthier alternative to traditional fried flautas, but are still packed with flavor
- They’re a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken
No one will be able to resist these crispy little flautas, especially when they’re served with all of your favorite toppings. So fire up the air fryer and get ready for some serious snacking.
Scroll down for the printable card for this air fryer flautas recipe, or read on for all the details.
Key ingredients and substitutions
Are you making flautas or taquitos? Because your choice of tortilla will make all the difference! Choose flour tortillas for flautas, and corn tortillas for taquitos.
I prefer to use flour tortillas as they roll more easily without cracking, but it is up to you which you choose! Small tortillas (fajita-sized) are best for making air fryer taquitos/flautas as they will fit neatly in most air fryers.
This recipe uses a simple filling made from shredded chicken, cheese and jalapeno filling.
This recipe is a great way to use use leftover cooked chicken, like rotisserie chicken or roast chicken. You could also use leftover cooked turkey.
Cream cheese and sour cream
Sour cream and cream cheese melt together to make a creamy sauce for the filling.
I used canned diced jalapenos for this recipe, but you could use fresh jalapenos if you have them to hand. Feel free to increase or decrease the amount depending on how much heat you like in your food (or skip them altogether).
The recipe below specifies Monterey jack cheese, but Edam or cheddar will also work.
This recipe uses a mix of ground cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper for the seasoning, but you could substitute taco seasoning, or try adding some cayenne pepper to add a bit more heat.
How to cook flautas in your air fryer
This is a very quick and easy recipe to make, but there are a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Make the filling. Simply mix all the filling ingredients together in a bowl. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F/ 200°C.
- Fill the tortillas. You will need around two tablespoons of the filling per tortilla. Place across the width of the tortilla, just below the center, and then roll it up as tightly as you can without tearing the tortilla. Store them seam side down until you are ready to air fry, to stop them from unrolling.
- Air fry flautas. Place them in the air fryer basket seam side down. You can only air fry them in a single layer, so cook them in batches if you need to. The flautas are ready when they are golden brown, crispy and cooked through.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also bake or fry these flautas in the oven. Place them on a lined baking tray and bake at 400°F/ 200°C for around 10-15 minutes, flipping them over halfway through the cooking time.
There are many delicious ways to serve flautas, here are a few of our favorite ideas:
- Serve flautas with a fresh salsa made with tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and lime juice.
- For a heartier meal, serve flautas with refried beans and rice on the side.
- If you’re looking for a bit of a crunch, top flautas with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and crumbled queso fresco.
- For a sweet and spicy twist, serve flautas with a honey-chipotle sauce.
Storage and reheating
To freeze these flautas, allow them to cool completely, place them in a freezer-safe container, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator, the reheat in the air fryer.
How to make flautas (or taquitos) in an air fryer.
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened (1 packet)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 oz canned diced jalapenos (2 cans), drained
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper, if desired
- 16 tortillas [Note 1], fajita size
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F/ 200°C.
- In a bowl, blend the chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, shredded cheese, and seasonings.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the chicken off-center in each tortilla. Roll up the tortilla as tightly as possible without tearing the tortilla.
- Place flautas in the air fryer basket with the seam side down in a single layer. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Air fry flautas for 6 to 8 minutes, carefully flipping them over halfway through the cooking time, until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with salsa verde, sour cream, salsa, or guacamole.
- Use flour tortillas for flautas, and corn tortillas for taquitos.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 796Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 990mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 39g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!