Air fryer taquitos (or flautas) are a fun and easy recipe to make with the family. All you need is a handful of simple ingredients, a few minutes prep time, and an air fryer.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Simple prep and quick to cook means they can be on the table in under 20 minutes for a quick and easy meal
- Because they are air fried, they’re a healthier alternative to traditional fried taquitos, but are still packed with flavor
- They’re a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken
No one will be able to resist these crispy little taquitos, especially when they’re served with all of your favorite toppings. So fire up the air fryer and get ready for some serious snacking.
Scroll down for the printable recipe card for these air fryer chicken taquitos, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
Are you making flautas or taquitos? Because your choice of tortilla will make all the difference! Choose corn tortillas for taquitos, and flour tortillas for flautas
You may find flour tortillas roll more easily without cracking, but it is up to you which you choose! Small tortillas (fajita-sized) are best for making air fryer taquitos/flautas as they will fit neatly in most air fryers.
This recipe uses a simple filling made from shredded chicken, cheese and jalapenos:
- Shredded chicken. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken, like rotisserie chicken or roast chicken. You could also use leftover cooked turkey.
- Cream cheese and sour cream. Sour cream and cream cheese melt together to make a creamy sauce for the filling.
- Diced jalapenos. I used canned diced jalapenos for this recipe, but you could use fresh jalapenos if you have them to hand. Feel free to increase or decrease the amount depending on how much heat you like in your food (or skip them altogether).
- Shredded cheese. The recipe below specifies Monterey jack cheese, but Edam or cheddar will also work.
- Seasonings. This recipe uses a mix of ground cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper for the seasoning, but you could substitute taco seasoning, or try adding some cayenne pepper to add a bit more heat.
However, you can use any filling you like for this recipe. Try substituting the chicken for some sauteed mushrooms, to make mushroom cheese taquitos, or try making turkey taquitos!
How to make taquitos in the air fryer
This is a very quick and easy recipe to make, but there are a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Prepare the filling. Simply mix all the filling ingredients together in a bowl.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F/ 200°C. Because the cook time is short, the air fryer should be preheated to ensure the taquitos start cooking straight away.
- Fill the tortillas. You will need around two tablespoons of the filling per tortilla. Place across the width of the tortilla, just below the center, and then roll it up as tightly as you can without tearing the tortilla. Store them seam side down until you are ready to air fry, to stop them from unrolling.
- Place taquitos in the air fryer. Place them in the air fryer basket seam side down in a single layer. Try to ensure there is a little space between the so the hot air can reach all sides. Cook them in batches if you need to.
- Air fry taquitos. Air fry the taquitos for 6 to 8 minutes, carefully flipping them over halfway through the cooking time. They are ready when they are golden brown, crispy, and cooked through.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also bake these taquitos in the oven. Place them on a lined baking tray and bake at 400°F/ 200°C for around 10-15 minutes, flipping them over halfway through the cooking time.
There are many delicious ways to serve taquitos and flautas, here are a few of our favorite ideas:
- Tops taquitos with fresh salsa made with tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and lime juice.
- For a heartier meal, serve taquitos with refried beans and rice on the side.
- If you’re looking for a bit of a crunch, serve taquitos on a bed of shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and crumbled queso fresco.
- For a sweet and spicy twist, serve taquitos drizzled with a honey-chipotle sauce.
Storage and reheating
Store any leftover taquitos in an airtight container in the fridge and use within three days.
The reheat the taquitos in the air fryer, place them in the basket in a single layer, and air fry at 360°F / 180°C for 5-6 minutes until they have reached 165°F / 74°C in the center.
To freeze these flautas, allow them to cool completely, place them in a freezer-safe container, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat in the air fryer at 360°F / 180°C for 5-6 minutes until they have reached 165°F / 74°C in the center.
Air Fryer Taquitos / Flautas
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 8 oz cream cheese softened (1 packet)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 oz canned diced jalapenos 2 cans, drained
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper if desired
- 16 tortillas [Note 1] fajita size
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F/ 200°C.
- In a bowl, blend the chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, shredded cheese, and seasonings.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the chicken off-center in each tortilla. Roll up the tortilla as tightly as possible without tearing it, to form a taquito. Repeat for the remaining tortillas and filling mixture.
- Place taquitos in air fryer basket with the seam side down in a single layer. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Air fry flautas for 6 to 8 minutes, carefully flipping them over halfway through the cooking time, until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with salsa verde, sour cream, salsa, or guacamole.
- Use flour tortillas for flautas, or corn tortillas for taquitos.
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.