Air fryer quesadillas are easy and quick to make. Try this recipe for mushroom and black bean quesadillas for a filling vegetarian meal. You can change up the fillings if you prefer, and follow the basic recipe for cooking quesadillas in an air fryer.
This recipe is for Mexican spiced mushroom and black bean quesadillas, which I love as a hearty and filling (and delicious!) vegetarian meal. We usually have one or two meat-free dinners per week, and this one is always a family favorite!
You can mix up the fillings if you prefer, you could add chicken, or ground beef. I sometimes make ‘pot luck’ quesadillas using any leftover meat or vegetables we have in the fridge cooked up with some spices, layered with cheese, grilled in the air fryer. They key is to make sure that whatever filling you are going to use is cut up small so it will fit in the quesadilla and stay nice and flat.
For spices, I have a go-to store-bought Mexican spice mix that I always keep in my pantry, but you could use just about any taco or burrito seasoning that you like. The filling just needs a little spice and heat to give it a bit of a kick. I usually serve quesadillas with sour cream or Greek yogurt to counter the spice, and a fresh salsa made from tomatoes, corn kernels, scallions, and a dash of vinegar.
How to cook mushroom and black bean quesadillas in an air fryer.
- 1 small brown onion
- 8 oz black beans, (canned)
- 9 oz button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ oz butter
- 2 tbsp Mexican spice mix , (or seasoning for tacos or burritos)
- 4 oz cheese
- 8 mini flour tortillas, (6 or 7 inch)
- olive oil
- Thinly slice onion. Press or chop the garlic. Thinly slice the mushrooms. Grate or shred the cheese.
- Drain and rinse can of black beans. Place in a large bowl and roughly mash with a fork.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium fry pan. Add onion and cook until softened (approx. 2 minutes).
- Add the Mexican spice mix and the garlic, cook until fragrant (approx. 1 minute).
- Add another drizzle of olive oil, and the butter and mushrooms. Cook until the mushroom are softened (approx. 5 minutes).
- Transfer to the bowl with the black beans. Mix well to combine.
- Lay tortilla flat on a plate or board. Spread ¼ of the mushroom and black bean mix on top. Top with grated cheese. Place another tortilla on top and press gently. Repeat until all tortillas and mix have been used.
- Brush or spray top of quesadillas with olive oil.
Air fry quesadillas
- Place as many quesadillas into air fryer basket as you can fit, ensuring they do not overlap. You will need to cook them in batches unless you have a very large air fryer.
- Air fry quesadillas for five minutes at 360°F (180°C), until golden brown.
- Cut quesadillas into quarters, and serve with salsa and sour cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 767Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 18gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 1033mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 15gSugar: 9gProtein: 36g
You may also like: