Air fryer tater tots – the best way to cook frozen tater tots. It is super quick and easy, and gives perfect crisp tater tots the way they are supposed to be. Much healthier than deep fried, but just as delicious!
How to Cook Frozen Tater Tots in an Air Fryer
Air frying is without question the best way to cook tater tots. The packet instructions suggest either oven baking or deep frying. Both give great results, but once you try air frying tots you will never look back.
Oven baking takes longer than air frying, and you have to wait for the oven to heat up before you can even start cooking.
Deep fried tater tots are delicious, but air frying is soooo much easier and less messy, no oil spatter to worry about. Also air fried tots are way healthier as they don’t have all that extra oil.
Do you Air Fry Tater Tots From Frozen?
Yes, definitely! In fact don’t defrost them before air frying or you will have some soggy tater tots on your hands, and no one wants that! Most frozen foods air fry best from frozen, and tater tots are no exception.
Placing Tater Tots in the Air Fryer
Unless you are only cooking a tiny batch of tater tots, they will be piled up in the air fryer.
It is important to give the basket a good shake at least once during the cooking time, to redistribute the tots. This will ensure that all sides of the tater tots cook evenly and they should have a uniform crispness all over.
If you are cooking a tiny batch that sits in one layer, I would still give the basket a quick shake during cooking, just to make sure they come out perfect, but you could probably get away without shaking if it was a tater tot emergency situation.
How long to Cook Frozen Tater Tots in the Air Fryer
The length of time you should air fry the tater tots depends on how many you are planning on cooking.
I normally use approximately half a bag, which is around 4 serves. The recipe below is right for that amount, but if you are planning to cook just 1 or 2 serves, or the whole bag (if you can fit that much in your air fryer), then you will need to adjust the cook time.
If you are just doing a small number of tater tots then I would suggest starting with 7-8 minutes, shaking the basket half way through. You can add more time at the end if that not long enough.
For a larger amount you may need to air fry the tater tots for 15 minutes or more. Shake the basket and check on progress every five minutes during cooking until they are cooked to your liking.
What to Serve With Tater Tots?
You can serve tater tots as a side to a main meal, or as a snack on their own with a dipping sauce. Try:
- As a side to hamburgers
- In a burger bun with sauce
- As a side to fried chicken
- With a dipping sauce – ketchup, bbq, or mayo are all great with tots
- As a side to fried fish
How to Air Fry Tater Tots
I have made a recipe card for air frying tater tots, even though it is not exactly a recipe more of a “how to cook tater tots in the air fryer”.
I find it useful to print and keep recipe cards for things I cook regularly, and you may too, so here you go!
How to cook frozen tater tots in an air fryer.
- 16 oz tater tots
- Olive oil spray
- Salt (to taste)
- Place frozen tater tots in the air fryer basket, and give a quick spray of olive oil.
- Place basket in air fryer, and air fry tater tots at 360°F (180°C) for around 12 minutes.
- Shake the basket after about 5-6 minutes (no need to stop the air fryer), and again after 10 minutes.
- At this point check to see how well cooked the tots are. If they are not quite cooked enough return them to the air fryer an cook for additional 2 minute intervals until they are done to your liking.
- The tater tots are cooked when they are a light golden brown, though you can cook them longer if you like them extra crispy!
- Remove tater tots from the air fryer and season with salt to taste - remember they will be very hot so eat with care!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 670mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
You may also like: