Air fryer baked potatoes – quick to cook and perfectly crispy and tender. This is the best way to bake a potato.
How to Cook a Baked Potato in an Air Fryer
Baked potatoes are such a comfort food for me. Warming, hearty and so delicious! But the one thing I don’t like about them is how darn long they take to bake in an oven! The cook time can be 45 minutes or longer!
Well not any more!
Recently it occurred to me to try baking them in the air fryer. I cook almost everything in my air fryer these days, so why not jacket potatoes? Let me tell you: they came out perfect!
Air frying is now my favorite way to cook baked potatoes. A large part of this is because it is the quickest way to cook a baked potato if you actually want it to turn out crispy.
Yes you can microwave a baked potato in around 5-10 minutes, but we all know it will end up soft and disappointing.
The Best Way to Bake a Potato
Air frying a jacket potato is the best way to get the outside crisp and perfect, and the inside tender, just like it was baked in an oven.
Because air fryers cook using dry heat they are great at crisping food up. Jacket potatoes are no exception, air frying will give them a really crispy skin, while they are fork tender on the inside.
They can still take a long time to cook through if you just bake them in the air fryer. So I found the best approach is to start the cooking process in the microwave, followed by a blast in the air fryer to crisp it up.
Start the cooking process in the microwave, followed by a blast in the air fryer to crisp it up.
What is the best type of potato for baking?
The ideal variety of potatoes for baking in an air fryer are those with a high starch content. This gives them the soft fluffy texture that is so perfect in a baked potato.
The best types to choose for baking are russet potatoes. Not only are they wonderfully fluffy when cooked, but they also have thick skins which will crisp up nicely in the air fryer.
I give them a quick spray with olive oil when they are in the air fryer basket, to really help the skins crisp up, but that is optional if you are trying to cut fat.
How to Serve Jacket Potatoes
Now all you need to figure out is what you are going to top that potato with. If you need some ideas, some of my favorite toppings are:
- Mexican beef mince and sour cream
- Pulled pork and slaw
- Chicken mayo
- Cottage cheese and slaw
- Sour cream and chives
- Tuna mayo
- Butter and cheddar cheese
Air fryer baked potato recipe
How to cook a baked potato in an air fryer.
- 1 large potato (Idaho, Russet, King Edward or Maris Piper)
- Olive oil spray
- Your toppings of choice
- Scrub the potato and prick with a fork to pierce the skin.
- Place potato in microwave for 5 minutes. When it is finished, the potato should feel soft on the outside. If it still hard you will need to adjust the cooking time - turn the potato over and microwave for another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove potato from microwave (use oven mitts - it will be hot!).
- Place potato in air fryer basket, and spray lightly with olive oil spray.
- Air fry potato at 390°F (200°C) for 15 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside, and tender in the center. Again, cook time may need to be adjusted depending on the size of your potato. Air fry for additional 5 minute intervals until it is done.
- Enjoy with your favorite toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Unsaturated Fat: 0g
You may also like:
Looking for more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can browse recipes by meal type and category!