This recipe for air fryer small potatoes is a delicious side dish that everyone will love. Whether you use baby potatoes, fingerling potatoes, new potatoes, or any other variety of mini potatoes, they are really easy to cook, go with everything, and you can spice them up however you like to make them your own.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to cook small potatoes in an air fryer
Roasted mini potatoes are always a superb side dish and they’re the perfect thing to make if you need to feed a lot of people.
Air frying is a great way to cook mini potatoes, because the roasting time is quicker than cooking in the oven, and you use less oil, but you still get crispy potatoes with a fork-tender center.
This is one of my favorite quick and easy side dishes. Next to no prep is required (no chopping!), and air frying means no need to wait while your oven heats up! They are a quick and easy alternative to regular roasted potatoes, and because this recipe uses unpeeled baby potatoes there is no need to soak them before cooking.
I love air fried potatoes, and am always looking for new ways to cook them. Some of my current favorites are air fryer roasted potatoes, air fryer smashed potatoes, air fryer breakfast potatoes (potato cubes), or try an air fryer baked potato.
>> See all air fryer potato recipes
Scroll down for the printable card for this air fryer baby potato recipe, or read on for all the details!
This recipe calls for whole baby potatoes, though any small potato variety will work for this recipe. Some good varieties to try are:
- baby russet potatoes
- baby gold potatoes
- baby red potatoes
- fingerling potatoes
- kipfler potatoes
- any variety of new potatoes
- baby sweet potatoes
Seasoning is actually optional, and you can adapt it to your own tastes. The recipe below just uses simple sea salt for seasoning, but please feel free to mix it up and use any seasonings you like with potatoes.
This recipe is delicious with fresh rosemary, thyme and garlic. Throw a couple of sprigs of thyme and rosemary and a few (lightly bashed) cloves of garlic (or a pinch of garlic powder) in the air fryer basket with the potatoes to add extra flavor.
The recipe below uses light olive oil, but you can use any high-smoke point cooking oil. Try avocado oil or corn oil.
For a healthier version you can use an olive oil spray to reduce the oil used, or for more crispy baby potatoes you can add more oil.
Step 1: Preheat air fryer to 360°F/ 180°C.
Step 2: Wash and dry baby potatoes. Then add potatoes, oil, salt and other seasoning to a large bowl, and toss to coat to potatoes evenly.
Step 3: Place potatoes in the air fryer basket, and air fry at 360°F/ 180°C for 15 minutes shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time to redistribute the potatoes so that they cook evenly. If you have larger potatoes they may need to cook for longer, so air fry for additional 3-4 minute intervals if needed.
These potatoes are great served as it for a side dish to many meals. I often serve them simply with a sprinkle of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
However, they are also easy to turn into something a bit more exciting. Here are some fun ideas to try:
- Sprinkle finished potatoes with Parmesan cheese and bacon bits
- Toss potatoes in a tablespoon of garlic and herb butter
- Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning, and top with sour cream and sliced green onions
Storing and reheating
Store any leftover little potatoes in an air-tight container in the refrigerator, and use within 3 days.
You can reheat the potatoes in the air fryer, air fry for 3-4 minutes until warmed through. Alternatively, you can reheat them in the microwave, 1-2 minutes on high.
Air fryer baby potatoes recipe card
How to cook any variety of small potatoes in an air fryer.
- 2lb/ 1kg small potatoes [Note 1]
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (or kosher salt)
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F/ 180°C.
- Wash potatoes (if required) and dry them thoroughly. Cut any that are larger than 2 inches long in half.
- Mix the oil, salt and dried rosemary in a large bowl, then add the potatoes, and mix to coat them thoroughly.
- Place seasoned small potatoes in air fryer basket, and air fry at 360°F/ 180°C for 15 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Shake the basket halfway through the cooking time to redistribute the potatoes.
- If you have larger potatoes they may need to cook for longer, so air fry for additional 3-4 minute intervals if required.
- You can use any variety of mini potatoes, baby potatoes, fingerling potatoes, or new potatoes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 554mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like:
- Air fryer cauliflower
- Air fryer broccolini
- Crispy air fryer popcorn chicken
- Air fryer bbq chicken wings
- Air fryer frozen potato wedges
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!