Air fried chicken legs are crisp, juicy, and very simple. This is a healthy recipe for fried chicken that will be approved by the whole family!
How to cook chicken legs in an air fryer
Chicken legs and air frying are a match made in heaven. Seriously! Once you have tried cooking chicken legs in your air fryer you will never try to broil or bake them again!
Air fryers are so simple to use, and give really great results for anything where you want the outside to be crisp.
This is due to the method of cooking – circulating hot air – which allows the outside of the chicken to crisp up quickly, before the inside starts to dry out. Cooking takes longer in a regular oven, so the inside often begins to dry out before the outside has gotten truly crispy.
The steps for this recipe are simple:
- Flavor the chicken legs: whether you use a rub, or a marinade, don’t skip this step!
- Arrange drumsticks in a simple layer in your air fryer basket or tray
- Air fry chicken drumsticks for 20 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F (preheat your air fryer if needed)
If you want to get the chicken really crispy, pat it dry before you flavor it. The drier it is when it starts cooking the crisper it will turn out!
To flavor the chicken in this recipe I have used a simple chili-lime marinade, but you could use any chicken marinade, sauce or spices that you like. Other options I like to use include:
- Teriyaki marinade
- Honey and soy sauce
- Paprika and cayenne pepper
- Honey and mustard
This recipe actually takes a bit of planning because you have to marinade it for a while before you cook. I usually try to get organized the night before I plan to serve it, so it can marinate overnight.
I’m sure that this recipe will soon become a firm favorite with your family (and not just because it is so easy to cook!)
How to cook chicken drumsticks in an air fryer
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Olive oil spray
- Whisk together the sweet chili sauce, lime
juice, and soy sauce in a large bowl.
- Add chicken drumsticks and mix to coat thoroughly
- Cover bowl and place in refrigerator for two hours, or overnight.
- Place chicken drumsticks in a single layer in the air fryer basket or tray.
- Air fry chicken drumsticks for 20 minutes (turn halfway through if that is recommended by your air fryer brand).
- When the cooking time is up, check the temperature with a digital meat thermometer (insert it into the thickest part of the largest drumstick). Internal temperature should be 165°F / 75°C.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 231mgSodium: 622mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 44g
You may also like:
Looking for more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can browse recipes by meal type and category!