This air fryer chicken thigh recipe is my go-to for an easy week night dinner. They are full of flavor, and also gluten-free, paleo and keto. Team them with some fries and/or a salad for a dinner that will be approved by the whole family.
How to Cook Chicken Thighs in an Air Fryer
Air frying chicken thighs is a great way to cook them, you can grill or roast them by varying the amount of oil used (a light brush of oil for grilling, or use more for roasting).
They make a great mid week dinner, so flavorful, so easy to cook, and good value too!
What Chicken Thighs to Use
I usually buy boneless skinless chicken thighs for air frying, as I find they take the seasoning more easily, and they cook slightly more quickly.
You can also use skin-on if you prefer, air frying chicken thighs guarantees the skin will be crispy! I use skin on thighs if I am cooking a more traditional roasted chicken thighs.
How to Prepare Chicken Thighs
Prep is easy, pat the chicken thighs dry, drizzle with a little cooking oil, then add the seasoning and flip the chicken thighs over to ensure they are coated with the seasoning on all sides.
For seasoning, I often use store-bought chicken spices [affiliate link], but you can easily make your own. Try using:
- Ground pepper, paprika, and ground cumin
- Rosemary, thyme for traditional style roasted chicken thighs
- Chili powder, cumin, garlic, oregano, onion, paprika sea salt
How Long To Air Fry Chicken Thighs
Chicken needs to be cooked until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C).
The exact length of time that chicken thighs need to be air fried for will depend on their size, thickness, and whether they are boneless or bone-in.
For regular-sized boneless chicken thighs it will usually take around 12-15 minutes. If you are cooking bone-in, or if they are particularly large, then add an extra 5 minutes.
To check whether chicken is cooked correctly you can stick a knife in the thickest part and check to see whether the juices run clear.
If you are at all unsure then please check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer, or slice the chicken thighs to ensure they are cooked through with no pink remaining in the center.
What to Serve with Chicken Thighs
Air fried chicken thighs are such a great dish because they are so versatile – they go well with many different types of food. I often keep things simple and serve them with a side of fries, and some steamed vegetables.
Here are some easy side dishes that go great with these air fried chicken thighs:
Air Fryer Chicken Thigh Recipe
How to cook chicken thighs in an air fryer.
- 10 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp chicken spices
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- Preheat air fryer to 390°F (200°C).
- Pat chicken thighs dry. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with chicken spices, turn to ensure they are evenly coated with the oil and spice.
- Place chicken thighs in air fryer basket. Make sure they are not overlapping.
- Place basket into air fryer and air fry chicken thighs for 12-15 minutes (depending on thickness), until they are cooked through.
- You can check they are cooked by cutting the thickest one open, or stick a sharp knife into the thickest part - if the juices run clear they should be cooked. If you are unsure, it is best to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 2gProtein: 23g
You may also like: