These air fryer chicken kabobs are a quick and easy way to get a delicious, healthy meal on the table! Made with chicken breast, vegetables, and a simple seasoning, these kabobs are perfect for a weeknight dinner or fun weekend lunch. And thanks to the air fryer, they’re ready in just a few minutes!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It only uses 5 ingredients, that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge
- It is simple to prepare, with only a couple of steps required, and can be prepared ahead of time
- It is quick to cook in the air fryer
One of the best things about warm weather is enjoying all of your favorite grilled foods! Chicken kabobs (kebabs or skewers) are a grilling classic, but if you don’t have a grill (or don’t want to deal with the hassle), you can make these delicious chicken kabobs in the air fryer instead!
All you need is your favorite seasoning or marinade, some chicken breasts or thighs, and some skewers. You’ll have perfectly cooked chicken kabobs that are juicy on the inside and slightly crisp on the outside. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
Scroll down for the printable card for this air fryer chicken kabob recipe, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
I normally use chicken breast for this recipe, but you can use chicken thighs if you prefer. Cut the chicken into pieces around 1-inch square.
This recipe uses bell peppers and white onion, but you could also use red onion, zucchini, tomatoes (cut into quarters or use whole cherry tomatoes), pineapple, or mushrooms.
They need to be cut into pieces approximately 1-inch square.
To keep things simple, I usually use a store-bought chicken seasoning mix for this recipe, but you can easily make your own, or substitute your favorite chicken seasonings blend (try taco seasoning, Cajun seasoning or lemon pepper). Choose one that contains salt, or add ½ teaspoon salt.
To make your own chicken seasoning, try this simple recipe:
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
I use light olive oil for this recipe, but you can use another cooking oil with a high smoke point, such as vegetable oil or avocado oil.
You can use metal or wooden skewers. You just need to make sure they are short enough to fit in your air fryer! Wooden skewers should be soaked before use to stop them from charring during cooking.
How to cook chicken kabobs in your air fryer
This recipe is very simple, but there are a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Season the chicken. Mix the chicken, seasoning and oil together. For extra flavor, you can leave it to marinate (covered in the refrigerator) for 1-2 hours, but this is optional.
- Prepare the skewers. Thread chunks of vegetables and chicken onto the skewers, alternating chicken with vegetables until the skewer is full. Be sure to leave a short bare section (~½-inch) at each end to allow for easier handling.
- Air fry kabobs. Preheat your air fryer to 390°F/ 195°C, then carefully place chicken kabobs in the air fryer basket. Air fry the kabobs for 10-15 minutes, turning them over after around 5 minutes.
How long to cook chicken kabobs in the air fryer?
The exact cook times will depend on a few factors, including how large the pieces of chicken and vegetables are and how powerful your air fryer is.
To be cooked safely, the chicken on the kabobs needs to reach at least 165°F/ 74°C the whole way through. So test the temperature in the middle of the thickest few chicken chunks to ensure that they are cooked correctly.
If required, air fry the kabobs for additional 2-3 minute intervals until all the chicken has reached this temperature.
When it comes to chicken kabobs, there are endless possibilities for what to serve them with. For a healthy option, pair them with a salad or some grilled vegetables. If you’re looking for something more filling, rice or quinoa make great sides, or serve them in wraps (remove the skewer first, though!).
And of course, no matter what else you serve them with, don’t forget the dipping sauce! Ranch dressing, sour cream, mayo, buffalo sauce, or bbq sauce are some great options to try.
Here are some delicious side dishes to try with this recipe:
- Pomegranate Couscous Salad
- Instant Pot Spanish Rice (Mexican Rice)
- Simple Summer Coleslaw
- Microwave Corn on the Cob
Air Fryer Chicken Kabobs
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chicken seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 green bell peppers seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell peppers seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 white onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4-6 skewers [Note 1]
- Place the chicken in a medium bowl, drizzle with the olive oil, add the seasoning, and toss to coat [Note 2].
- Prepare the skewers by threading chunks of chicken, peppers, and onion onto the skewers, alternating chicken with vegetables until the skewer is full.
- Preheat air fryer to 390°F/ 195°C, then carefully place chicken kabobs in air fryer basket [Note 3].
- Air fry chicken kabobs for 10-15 minutes, turning them once halfway through the cooking time.
- The kabobs are cooked when they have reached an internal temperature of 165°F/ 74°C in the center [Note 4]. Cook for additional 2-3 minute intervals if required until all kabobs have reached this temperature.
- You can use metal or wooden skewers. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water while the chicken is marinating.
- Optional step; Cover and leave to marinate if the fridge for 1-2 hours. This is useful if you want to start preparing this recipe ahead of time.
- If your air fryer is prone to sticking, lightly spritz or brush the basket with olive oil before you add the chicken kabobs.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature in the center of the largest chunks of chicken. Test a few to ensure that your kabobs have cooked evenly. The temperature should read 165°F/ 74°C or higher.
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.