Air fryer tomatoes are quick and easy to cook, and are juicy and flavorful. Try this simple recipe to roast tomatoes in an air fryer, the perfect side dish when you are in a hurry.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to Roast Tomatoes in an Air Fryer
Air fryer roast tomatoes make a great side to so many meals. They are very quick and easy to cook, and healthy too!
The great thing about air frying tomatoes it that you get beautifully roasted tomatoes without needing to switch your oven on. In fact, they will be cooked in less time than it would take your regular oven to heat up!
Scroll down for the recipe card for these air fryer tomatoes, or read on for all the details!
What tomatoes to use?
You can use any tomatoes for this recipe, cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, plum tomatoes, buffalo tomatoes, or any other size. Larger tomatoes should be cut or sliced before air frying.
Mix things up and try air frying green tomatoes, yellow tomatoes or a mixture of colors to brighten up your plate.
Interesting fact: green tomatoes aren’t just unripe tomatoes. All tomatoes go through a green phase, but some varieties will stay green into maturity, others will reach their mature color of yellow, red or purple.
I normally use light olive oil, but avocado oil, or vegetable oil can also be used.
If you want more of a grilled or baked style of tomatoes, then skip the oil or reduce the amount used.
Seasoning for roast tomatoes
You can air fry tomatoes plain, but they are also really great with some herbs or other seasoning.
A sprinkle of salt and some fresh thyme are my favorite, but depending on the type of meal I am making I might use:
- Italian seasoning
- Rosemary and thyme (pop a whole sprig in the pan with the tomatoes)
- A drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Garlic powder or onion powder
- add in a garlic clove or two (gently bash to release the flavor)
Step 1: Prepare tomatoes
Rinse tomatoes, pat dry, and cut in half or quarters depending on the size of tomatoes you are using. Grape or cherry tomatoes can be air fried whole.
Cut larger tomatoes in half or quarters depending on the size of the tomato. You want pieces that are around ½-1 inch thick.
You can air fry larger tomatoes whole, but the cook time in the recipe card below will need to be adjusted. You can increase cook times in intervals of two minutes until they are cooked to your liking.
Step 2: Place tomatoes in pan
Place tomatoes cut side up in a small baking dish or roasting pan. Any oven-safe pan can be used in an air fryer as long as it will fit in the basket with room for the air to circulate around it freely.
Spray with oil then sprinkle with salt and herbs or seasoning (if using). I like to use flaked or kosher salt, but ground sea salt is also a good option.
Step 3: Air fry tomatoes
Place the pan into the air fryer basket and set to air fry for ten minutes or so until tender (exact time will depend on many factors including how large the tomato pieces are). You will probably hear a popping noise while they are cooking – this is normal!
Here are some ways that you can serve air fried tomatoes:
- on the side with a grilled cheese sandwich
- alternate roasted tomato slices with fresh mozzarella cheese and fresh basil for a roasted tomato caprese salad
- use roasted tomatoes to top a pasta dish
- mix with cooked pasta, feta and fresh basil leaves for a quick and easy summer salad
- add to a roasted tomato pasta sauce
- with chicken and avocado in a sandwich
- on lightly toasted bread with a drizzle of pesto
- on the side with hash browns (check out how to cook hash browns in an air fryer, you can air fryer both at the same time)
FAQs & Tips
No, you do not need to peel tomatoes before roasting them. The skins will roast nicely and are fine to eat, but if you prefer to serve them without skins, then they are much easier to remove once they have been roasted.
To quick roast tomatoes they should be air fried at 350°F (180°C). You can also slow-roast tomatoes in an air fryer at 300°F (150°C), but the cook time will be longer than in the recipe card below.
You can use foil in some models of air fryer, but some manufacturers do not recommend it, so please check your air fryer manual before using foil.
Scroll down for the recipe card for these air fried tomatoes!
Recommended tools and products
How to roast tomatoes in an air fryer.
- 4 small tomatoes (or 8 cherry tomatoes)
- 1 spray olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Cut tomatoes in half, place in a small baking dish. Cherry tomatoes can be air fried whole.
- Spray tomatoes with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- Cook tomatoes in air fryer at 350°F/ 180°C for 10 minutes until tender.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 37Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g
You may also like:
- Air fryer roasted vegetables
- Air fryer roast carrots
- Air fryer broccoli
- Air fryer corn on the cob
- Air fryer vegetable recipes
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!