These air fryer roasted tomatoes are bursting with flavor, and make the perfect side dish for just about any occasion! The best part is they can be whipped up in next to no time. A handful of simple ingredients and around 10 minutes’ cook time is all it takes to roast tomatoes in your air fryer to perfection.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Air fryer roast tomatoes make a great side to so many meals. They are very quick and easy to cook, and healthy too!
The great thing about air frying tomatoes it that you get beautifully roasted tomatoes without needing to switch your oven on. In fact, they will be cooked in less time than it would take your regular oven to heat up!
Scroll down for the recipe card for these air fryer tomatoes, or read on for all the details!
What do you need?
You can use any tomatoes for this recipe, cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, plum tomatoes, buffalo tomatoes, or any other size. Larger tomatoes should be cut or sliced before air frying.
Mix things up and try air frying green tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, or a mixture of colors to brighten up your plate.
Interesting fact! Green tomatoes aren’t just unripe tomatoes. All tomatoes go through a green phase, but some varieties will stay green into maturity, others will reach their mature color of red, yellow, or purple.
I normally use light olive oil, but avocado oil, or vegetable oil can also be used.
If you want more of a grilled or baked style of tomatoes, then skip the oil or reduce the amount used. You can also use a cooking oil spray for a lighter option.
When choosing an olive oil spray for your air fryer, look for the type that spritzes rather than an aerosol. The propellant in aerosol oil sprays can damage the non-stick coating of your air fryer.
A little salt and pepper is all you need to bring out the flavor of this dish. However, there are many other seasonings you can add to take it to a whole new level. Try adding:
- A few sprigs of rosemary or thyme
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (gently bash to release the flavor)
- A teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- A drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Half a teaspoon of garlic powder or onion powder
A small baking dish
You will also need a small baking dish to roast the tomatoes in. Any oven-safe pan can be used in an air fryer as long as it will fit in the basket with room for the air to circulate around it freely.
How to roast tomatoes in the air fryer
This recipe is very simple to prepare, there are just a few simple steps to getting it just right:
- Prepare tomatoes: Rinse tomatoes, pat dry, and cut in half or quarters depending on the size of tomatoes you are using. You want pieces that are around 1-inch across. Grape or cherry tomatoes can be air fried whole. You can air fry larger tomatoes whole, but the cook time in the recipe card below will need to be adjusted. Increase cook times in intervals of two minutes until they are cooked to your liking.
- Arrange tomatoes in pan: Place tomatoes cut side up in a small baking dish or roasting pan. Drizzle with oil, then sprinkle with salt and herbs or seasoning (if using).
- Air fry tomatoes: Place the pan into the air fryer basket and set it to air fry for around ten minutes until the tomatoes are tender. The exact time will depend on a few factors, including how large the tomato pieces are, so check on them and air fry for a few additional minutes if needed.
Here are some tasty ideas for serving these air-fried tomatoes:
- Bruschetta: Serve roasted tomatoes on top of toasted bread with garlic, olive oil, and fresh basil for a classic Italian appetizer.
- Pasta sauce: Blend roasted tomatoes with garlic, olive oil, and herbs to make a flavorful pasta sauce.
- Tomato soup: Blend roasted tomatoes with chicken or vegetable broth and cream for a creamy and comforting tomato soup.
- Omelets: Add roasted tomatoes to omelets with feta cheese, spinach, and other fillings for a protein-packed breakfast.
- Pizza toppings: Use roasted tomatoes as a pizza topping with mozzarella, basil, and other toppings for a delicious homemade pizza.
- Salsa: Chop roasted tomatoes and mix them with onion, cilantro, and lime juice for a fresh and flavorful salsa.
- Grain bowls: Add roasted tomatoes to grain bowls with quinoa, roasted vegetables, and other toppings for a healthy and satisfying meal.
Air Fryer Roasted Tomatoes
These air fryer tomatoes are a delicious and healthy side dish that you can whip up in next to no time. You only need a handful of simple ingredients (that you probably have in the pantry), and around 10 minutes of cook time.
- 4 medium tomatoes (or 8 cherry tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F/ 200°C.
- Cut tomatoes in half and place in a small baking dish. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add other seasonings if desired.
- Carefully place pan of tomatoes in air fryer basket.
- Air fry tomatoes at 400°F/ 200°C for 8-12 minutes until tender and cooked to your liking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 327mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.