Air fryer tomatoes are quick and easy to cook, and are juicy and flavorful. Try this simple recipe to roast tomatoes in an air fryer, the perfect side dish when you are in a hurry.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to Roast Tomatoes in an Air Fryer
Air fryer roast tomatoes make a great side to so many meals. They are very quick and easy to cook, and healthy too!
The great thing about air frying tomatoes it that you get beautifully roasted tomatoes without needing to switch your oven on.
If you are wanting more of a grilled or baked style of tomatoes then skip the oil or reduce the amount used.
What tomatoes to use
You can use cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes whole, or cut larger tomatoes in half or quarters depending on the size of the tomato. You want pieces that are no more than 3/4 inch thick.
You can air fry larger tomatoes, but the cook time in the recipe card below will need to be adjusted. You can increase cook times in intervals of two minutes until they are cooked to your liking.
Seasoning roast tomatoes
You can air fry tomatoes plain, but they are also really great with some herbs or other seasoning.
A sprinkle of salt and some fresh thyme are my favorite, but depending on the type of meal I am making I might use:
- Cajun spice
- Rosemary and thyme
How to cook tomatoes in an air fryer
- Rinse tomatoes, pat dry, and slice in half or quarters depending on the size of tomatoes you are using (grape or cherry tomatoes can be air fried whole)
- Place tomatoes cut side up in a small baking dish or roasting pan. Any oven safe pan can be used in an air fryer as long as it will fit in the basket with room for the air to circulate around it freely.
- Spray with oil then sprinkle with salt and herbs or seasoning if using. I like to use flaked or kosher salt, but ground sea salt is also a good option
- Place the pan into the air fryer basket and set to air fry for ten minutes or so until tender (exact time will depend on many factors including how large the tomato pieces are). You will probably hear a popping noise while they are cooking – this is normal!
- Remove from the air fryer and enjoy!
FAQs & Tips
No, you do not need to peel tomatoes before roasting them. The skins will roast nicely and are fine to eat, but if you prefer to serve them without skins, then they are much easier to remove once they have been roasted.
To quick roast tomatoes they should be air fried at 350°F (180°C). You can also slow-roast tomatoes in an air fryer at 300°F (150°C), but the cook time will be longer than in the recipe card below.
You can use foil in some models of air fryer, but some manufacturers do not recommend it, so please check your air fryer manual before using foil.
Scroll down for the recipe card for these air fried tomatoes!
Recommended tools and products
How to roast tomatoes in an air fryer.
- 4 small tomatoes, (or 8 cherry tomatoes)
- 1 spray olive oil
- Cut tomatoes in half, place in a small baking dish. Cherry tomatoes can be air fried whole.
- Spray tomatoes with olive oil.
- Cook tomatoes in air fryer at 350°F ( 180°C) for 10 minutes until tender.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 37Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g
Looking for more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can browse recipes by meal type and category!
You may also like:
*This blog post contains affiliate links, this means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a cent more – thanks in advance for your support!