Air fryer zucchini fries are a great option for those looking for a healthier alternative to traditional french fries. They can be just as crispy and delicious, without all the extra oil and calories. Plus, they’re simple to prepare and cook in just minutes in your air fryer!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- They are a fun way to get more vegetables into your diet, and are sure to be a hit with the kids
- They have a crispy outside and a tender center, making them a great healthy alternative to French fries
- Because they are air fried they are crispy without adding a lot of extra oil, so they provide the same sensation of “eating fried foods” without the guilt or the grease
Scroll down for the printable card for this air fryer zucchini fries recipe, or read on for all the details.
Ingredients and substitutions
Quantities are given in the recipe card below.
Choose two medium zucchinis, and try to find straight ones that are of a similar thickness the whole length, as these will cut into even sticks more easily.
This recipe uses egg to stick the breading to the zucchini fries. To make a vegan version of this recipe, you can substitute aquafaba or oil (and skip the parmesan cheese or use nutritional yeast).
I use panko bread crumbs for this recipe as I like how crispy they get in the air fryer. However, you can use any bread crumbs. Alternatively, to make this gluten-free you can substitute almond meal.
Parmesan cheese is optional, but really does add to the flavor. You can substitute nutritional yeast (and use aquafaba or oil in place of egg) for a vegan version.
This recipe uses simple kosher salt and pepper for seasoning. However, you can use or substitute any other seasoning you like. Try swapping the kosher salt for garlic salt, or adding ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, or Italian seasoning.
You can lightly spray or drizzle the zucchini fries with olive oil before air frying to get them extra golden and crispy. Skip this if you want to make a calorie-light version.
When choosing an olive oil spray for your air fryer, look for the type that spritzes rather than an aerosol. The propellant in aerosol oil sprays can damage the non-stick coating of your air fryer.
How to make crispy zucchini fries in the air fryer
- Prepare the zucchini sticks. Trim the tops and bottoms off the zucchini, cut in half, then cut each half lengthways into four sticks. If your zucchini are extra large, then cut them into more pieces so that the sticks are approximately 1 x ½ inch wide and around 3 inches long.
- Prepare the breading. Mix the panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, sea salt, and black pepper in a shallow bowl, beat the egg in another shallow dish.
- Bread the zucchini sticks. Working one at a time, evenly dip each zucchini piece in the egg mixture and then into the panko mixture to coat them evenly. When complete, place the breaded zucchini sticks on a plate while you crumb the remaining zucchini. For extra crispy zucchini fries, lightly brush or spritz them with olive oil before cooking.
- Air fry zucchini sticks. Place the zucchini fries in the air fryer basket in a single layer, making sure they are not touching. Cook them in batches if necessary. Air fry zucchini sticks for 7-10 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy. Some air fryers require food to be flipped over during cooking, so do this if needed for your air fryer.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can still make this recipe using your oven and a baking sheet. Make sure that you flip them over halfway through the cooking time.
Zucchini sticks make a great snack or appetizer on their own and go really well with a simple dipping sauce. Try ranch dressing, chipotle mayo, BBQ sauce or marinara sauce
You can also use these as your side dish for dinner recipes as they are a great alternative to french fries.
Storage and reheating
Store any leftover zucchini fries in an air tight container in the refrigerator, and use within three days.
You can reheat the zucchini fries in the air fryer, place them in the basket in a single layer, and air fry at 360°F/ 180°C for 3-4 minutes until hot.
How to make zucchini fries in an air fryer.
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, finely grated or powdered
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Trim the tops and bottoms off the zucchini, cut in half, then cut each half length-ways into four sticks [Note1 ].
- Mix the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, sea salt, and black pepper in a shallow bowl, beat the egg in another bowl.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F/ 200°C degrees.
- Working 1 piece at a time, evenly dip the zucchini in the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture to coat them evenly.
- When complete, place the breaded zucchini sticks on a plate until you are ready to cook.
- Place the zucchini fries in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Ensure they are not touching [Note 2]
- Air fry zucchini sticks for 7-10 minutes until they are golden and crispy. Flip the zucchini fries over halfway through the cooking time if required for your air fryer [Note 3].
- If you have a very large zucchini cut each quarter in half again.
- You may need to air fry the zucchini sticks in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Check your manual if you are unsure.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 761mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!