These air fryer zucchini fries are a great option for those looking for a healthier alternative to traditional french fries. Lightly breaded, and perfectly seasoned, air fried zucchini sticks offer a healthier twist on a classic fried appetizer. Plus, they’re simple to prepare and cook in just minutes in your air fryer!
Why you’ll love air fryer zucchini fries
- They are a fun way to get more vegetables into your diet, plus getting little ones to eat more veg is a breeze when you serve up these crunchy, dip-able fries.
- Air frying zucchini fries significantly slashes the fat and calories compared to deep fried, but keeps that same can’t-stop-munching texture.
- There are infinite ways to season these babies – cajun spice, parmesan, chili powder, you name it. Or give them a flavor dunk by pairing with yummy sauces. Ranch, sriracha mayo, marinara…have fun and get creative!
Scroll down for the printable recipe card for these air fryer zucchini fries, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
Zucchini / courgette
Choose two medium zucchinis, and try to find straight ones that are of a similar thickness the whole length, as these will cut into even sticks more easily.
This recipe uses egg to stick the breading to the zucchini fries. To make a vegan version of this recipe, you can substitute aquafaba or oil (and skip the parmesan cheese or use nutritional yeast).
I use panko bread crumbs for this recipe as I like how crispy they get in the air fryer. However, you can use any breadcrumbs. Alternatively, to make this gluten-free you can substitute almond meal.
Parmesan cheese is optional, but really does add to the flavor. You can substitute nutritional yeast (and use aquafaba or oil in place of egg) for a vegan version.
This recipe uses simple kosher salt and pepper for seasoning. However, you can use or substitute any other seasoning you like.
Try swapping the kosher salt for garlic salt, or adding ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, or Italian seasoning.
You can lightly spray or drizzle the zucchini fries with olive oil before air frying to get them extra golden and crispy. Skip this if you want to make a calorie-light version.
When choosing an olive oil spray for your air fryer, look for the type that spritzes rather than an aerosol. The propellant in aerosol oil sprays can damage the non-stick coating of your air fryer.
How to make crispy zucchini fries in the air fryer
This recipe is very simple to make, there are just a few steps to getting it just right.
- Prepare the zucchini sticks. Trim the tops and bottoms off the zucchini, cut in half, then cut each half lengthways into four sticks. If your zucchini are extra large, then cut them into more pieces so that the sticks are approximately 1 x ½ inch wide and around 3 inches long.
- Prepare the breading. Mix the panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, sea salt, and black pepper in a shallow bowl, beat the egg in another shallow dish.
- Bread the zucchini sticks. Working one at a time, evenly dip each zucchini piece in the egg mixture and then into the panko mixture to coat them evenly. When complete, place the breaded zucchini sticks on a plate while you crumb the remaining zucchini. For extra crispy zucchini fries, lightly brush or spritz them with olive oil before cooking.
- Air fry zucchini sticks. Place the zucchini fries in the air fryer basket in a single layer, making sure they are not touching. Cook them in batches if necessary. Air fry zucchini sticks for 7-10 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy. Some air fryers require food to be flipped over during cooking, so do this if needed for your air fryer.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can still make this recipe using your oven and a baking sheet. Make sure that you flip them over halfway through the cooking time.
Zucchini sticks make a great snack or appetizer on their own and go really well with a simple dipping sauce. Try ranch dressing, chipotle mayo, BBQ sauce or marinara sauce
You can also use these as your side dish for dinner recipes as they are a great alternative to french fries.
Storaging and reheating
Store any leftover zucchini fries in an air tight container in the refrigerator, and use within three days.
You can reheat the zucchini fries in the air fryer, place them in the basket in a single layer, and air fry at 360°F/ 180°C for 3-4 minutes until hot.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese finely grated or powdered
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Trim the tops and bottoms off the zucchini, cut in half, then cut each half length-ways into four sticks [Note1].
- Mix the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, sea salt, and black pepper in a shallow bowl, beat the egg in another bowl.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F/ 200°C degrees.
- Working 1 piece at a time, evenly dip the zucchini in the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture to coat them evenly.
- When complete, place the breaded zucchini sticks on a plate until you are ready to cook.
- Place the zucchini fries in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Ensure they are not touching [Note 2]
- Air fry zucchini sticks for 7-10 minutes until they are golden and crispy. Flip the zucchini fries over halfway through the cooking time if required for your air fryer [Note 3].
- If you have a very large zucchini cut each quarter in half again.
- You may need to air fry the zucchini sticks in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Check your manual if you are unsure.
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.