Air fryer sweet potato cubes are the perfect healthy snack or side dish! They can be cooked in just a few minutes, and are so easy to make that even the most novice cook can master them. If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to french fries or roasted potatoes, you need to try these tasty air fried sweet potato chunks!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- They are simple to prepare, needing only a few ingredients and a few minutes of your time.
- Sweet potatoes are naturally low-GI, making them a healthier option than regular potatoes.
- They cook in mere minutes in your air fryer.
Scroll down for the printable recipe card for this air fryer sweet potato cube recipe, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
Choose any variety of sweet potato. The type with smooth skin and orange flesh (sometimes called ‘yams’) are a good choice for a side dish to brighten up you table.
I use light olive oil for this recipe, but you can substitute any cooking oil you normally use with your air fryer. Vegetable oil, corn oil, or avocado oil are all good options.
For a healthier version of this recipe, you can use an olive oil spray and just give the cubes a couple of spritzes of oil.
The recipe below uses a blend of rosemary, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
Feel free to switch out the seasonings for any other flavors you like. Paprika, smoked paprika, or cayenne pepper are all good options. Or try adding a drizzle of honey.
Parmesan cheese is optional, but is delicious melted over the sweet potatoes once they are almost finished cooking.
How to cook sweet potato cubes in the air fryer
This recipe is very simple to make, there are just a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and peel if desired (leave the skin on if you like).
- Cut the sweet potatoes into large chunks around 1-inch across. This helps to prevent them being overcooked and becoming mushy. Try to cut them all roughly the same size so they cook in the same amount of time.
- Toss the sweet potato chunks with oil and seasoning.
- Don’t crowd the basket. If you want crispy sweet potatoes you need to leave plenty of room around the cubes for the air to circulate. If the basket is too crowded they will steam and won’t crisp up.
- Air fry HOT! 380°F/ 190°C is a good temperature to cook these sweet postatoes fast so they cook through quickly without drying out.
Storing and reheating
Refrigerate any leftover sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze the leftovers in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Allow them to thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
You can reheat sweet potatoes in the air fryer at 360°F/ 180°C for 5 minutes.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- 1 lb sweet potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F/ 190°C.
- Add the sweet potato cubes to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, add the seasoning and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Place sweet potato cubes in air fryer basket [Note 1]. Place them in a single layer if possible.
Air fry for 15-20 minutes tossing the basket every 5 minutes to redistribute the cubes [Note 2].
- The sweet potatoes will be tender and crisp at the edges when they are done. If required, air fry for additional 5-minute intervals until they are cooked to your liking.
- Optional step: sprinkle the parmesan over the sweet potato cubes and return to the air fryer for 2-3 minutes until it is melted.
- Brush or spritz the air fryer basket with olive oil before adding the sweet potato cubes if food tends to stick to it.
- This is especially important if the sweet potato chunks did not fit in one layer.
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.