One of my favorite roasts is this recipe for air fryer lamb roast. Juicy tender lamb roasted in the air fryer – no need to toil over a hot oven. Season with fresh rosemary and thyme and serve with roasted potatoes and fresh steamed vegetables for a classic lamb roast.
The recipe uses a butterflied leg of lamb, which you can ask your local butcher to prepare for you, or you can just cut it open yourself using a sharp knife. I would, however, recommend buying a boneless leg roast, as this will make the process much easier as the bone has to be removed.
Air fried roast lamb has a lovely rich flavor, which is really enhanced by the classic seasoning of rosemary and thyme. You can use any spices that you like with lamb, and sometimes I use a Moroccan seasoning, cumin or curry powder, but I do like a classic roast with rosemary and thyme, so usually stick to the recipe below.
For a classic roast I serve roast lamb with a mint sauce. You can try an easy homemade version by mixing chopped fresh mint leaves with sugar and vinegar. It looks a little rustic, but tastes fantastic!
- 10 oz butterflied lamb leg roast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp rosemary fresh or dried
- 1 tsp thyme fresh or dried
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F (180°C)
- On a plate, mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil with 1 teaspoon each of rosemary and thyme.
- Pat lamb roast dry and place into the herb oil mixture, turning it to ensure it is well coated.
- Place lamb in air fryer basket, and air fry for 15 minutes.
- This should give you medium-rare lamb. Though when cooking roast lamb in an air fryer it is best to check the temperature with a meat thermometer to ensure that it is cooked to your liking (medium-rare should be 140-150°F / 60-65°C). Cook for additional 3 minute intervals if you prefer it more well done.
- Remove roast lamb from air fryer, cover with kitchen foil and leave to rest for five minutes before serving (this allows the juices to reabsorb into the meat).
- Cut against the grain to serve.
What to serve with roast lamb
If you want to also cook side dishes in the air fryer, you can pre-cook them for part of the cooking time before the beef, then put them back in the air fryer to finish cooking for 10 minutes while the beef is resting.
You may also like: