Air fryer tilapia is simple and quick to make – it can be ready in just 15 minutes! Serve with potato wedges and a side salad for a dinner the whole family will love!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to Cook Tilapia in the Air Fryer
This recipe for air frying tilapia is so easy and delicious, making it my absolute favorite way to cook tilapia! It takes just a few minutes prep time to crumb and season the fish, and it can be on the table in 15 minutes!
As a family we love fried fish. I usually go with white fish fillets, but air fried salmon is also a popular meal at my house. Air fryer fish recipes are so easy, whether you want them crumbed or uncrumbed.
The air fryer is probably my favorite kitchen appliance. Cooking times are quicker, and air fried food always comes out great, and air frying fish is no exception.
Air Fryer Tilapia Ingredients
- Fresh tilapia fillets – this recipe calls for tilapia, but you could substitute any other white fish if you prefer.
- Panko breadcrumbs – I love the light crispness of panko bread crumbs, but any bread crumbs will work if you have a different type. You can also cook the tilapia filets uncrumbed if you prefer.
- Seasoning – I have used paprika and black pepper in the recipe below, but you could substitute different seasoning if you like. Try flavors like lemon pepper, garlic powder, or cayenne pepper
How to prepare fish fillets for air frying?
First, it is important to rinse the fish fillets, check for and remove any remaining bones, and rinse off any scales. Pat the fish dry on paper towels.
To crumb the fillets, I mix a good drizzle of olive oil and the seasoning in a bowl. Add the fish and gently turn it to coat with the seasoning. Then I sprinkle the breadcrumbs on and press them down gently to ensure they stick.
What to serve with tilapia
I love to serve tilapia with potato wedges or fries, and I have found that you can cook both in the air fryer by precooking the wedges for 20 minutes, and then adding the tilapia to cook with the wedges for the final ten minutes.
FAQs & Tips
Exact cook times will depend on several factors like size of fillets, how many you cook at once, and how efficient your air fryer model is. You’ll want to make sure the fish a golden brown color and flakes easily with a fork. It will be a uniform white color all the way through and no longer translucent.
This depends on the model of air fryer you have. Check your air fryer manual if you are unsure.
The FDA recommends cooking fish to an internal temperature of 145°F.
Air Fryer Tilapia Recipe
How to cook tilapia or other white fish in an air fryer.
- 2 fresh tilapia fillets
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- olive oil (drizzle)
- olive oil spray
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Mix ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp paprika with a drizzle of olive oil in a bowl.
- Pat tilapia dry, and add to bowl with oil mixture. Turn the fish to coat well.
- Add the panko bread crumbs to the bowl and press them into the fish down so they stick and coat the fillets on all sides.
- Give the air fryer basket a quick spray with oil to help prevent sticking.
- Place tilapia in air fryer basket.
- Air fry tilapia for approximately 10 minutes until it has cooked through and the crumb is golden-brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 36g
You may also like:
Looking for more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can browse recipes by meal type and category!
*This blog post contains affiliate links, this means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a cent more – thanks in advance for your support!