This easy cauliflower mac and cheese is a great dinner option for a busy family. It’s tasty, easy to make, and healthier than the straight macaroni and cheese version. This cauliflower and macaroni and cheese is the perfect quick dinner for a busy week night.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to make easy cauliflower mac and cheese
Mac and cheese is a delicious and comforting dish has been tried and tested by many people and it’s a favorite in the US and all over the world. There are many ways to make mac and cheese, but this has to be my favorite.
Not only is it quick and easy (it is basically a one-pot method finished off under the broiler), but it also has hidden veggies that my kids eat without a fuss every time!
There is also no need to pre-cook the macaroni in this recipe, making it simple and quick to make. Perfect for busy week nights or any time you don’t want to spend long in the kitchen.
How to make mac and cheese with cauliflower. Serves 4 as a main course, or 8 as a side dish.
- ¼ cauliflower, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups dry pasta elbows (approx 12 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (approx 4 ounces)
- 1½ teaspoons chicken stock powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried chives
- ¼ cup shredded cheese (Parmesan is best)
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- Rinse and finely chop the cauliflower.
- Melt the butter in a large pot on a medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute stirring, until combined.
- Add 1/2 cup water and whisk until the mixture is smooth and begins to thicken.
- Add the remaining water and bring to a simmer.
- Add milk, spices, pasta, cauliflower and salt to the pot. Bring to a simmer then reduce to a low-medium heat and cook for 10-12 minutes stirring occasionally until pasta is tender.
- While the pasta is cooking shred the cheese. When the pasta is tender remove the pot from the heat and stir the cheese through the pasta until it has melted and combined with the sauce.
- Transfer mac and cheese to an oven-proof dish. Mix breadcrumbs with the cheese for the topping, and spread on top of the macaroni. Place under a preheated broiler and cook until golden and crunchy (about 5 minutes).
- Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 608Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 938mgCarbohydrates: 78gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 25g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like:
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!