The best way to cook broccoli in the microwave is to steam it! This is a super simple recipe for microwave steamed broccoli for the next time you need a quick and easy side dish!
Steamed broccoli makes a great side dish for many meals. Steaming it in the microwave is super quick and easy, and a great option if you are short on time.
Cut the broccoli into florets and place in a dish or bowl. You will need a microwave-safe dish with a well-fitting lid (or use a plate upside down on top). You just need a small amount of water, just about half an inch of depth in the bottom of the bowl as you don’t want the broccoli sitting in the water – we just want it to cook in the steam.
The broccoli florets in the bottom of the bowl will be sitting in the water and may get a little overcooked, but you can avoid this by raising the broccoli up out of the water using a microwave-safe trivet or steamer basket, like this Joie silicone vegetable steamer [affiliate link].
- 1 head of broccoli
- 3 tbsp water
- Wash broccoli and chop into chunks.
- Place chopped broccoli into a microwave safe glass bowl.
- Add water, and cover the bowl with a plate.
- Microwave broccoli on high for approximately 3 minutes, until broccoli is bright green and tender.
- Take care when removing broccoli from the microwave, the bowl and the steam will be very hot. Serve with butter.
You may also like: