Try this recipe for air fryer carrots the next time you need a side dish in a flash. With a few simple ingredients and the help of your air fryer, you can have tender melt-in-the-mouth roasted carrots on the table in less time than it takes your oven to heat up.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe is incredibly quick and easy to make, as it requires only a few simple ingredients and minimal preparation time. Even better, the air fryer cooks the carrots quickly, so they can be ready in just a few minutes, making them a great option for busy weeknights or last-minute meals.
- The air fryer roasts the carrots to perfection, giving them a caramelized exterior and a tender interior. The natural sweetness of the carrots is enhanced by the roasting process, making them a delicious and satisfying snack or side dish.
- Air fryer roasted carrots can be seasoned with a variety of herbs and spices, making them a versatile dish that can be customized to suit any taste preference.
Scroll down for the printable card for this roasted air fryer carrots recipe, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
Quantities for all ingredients are given in the recipe card below.
Use full-sized regular carrots cut into quarters, or baby carrots whole. You can also use frozen carrots if that is all you have, but the cooking times will be slightly longer, and you will want to flip them a few times to make sure they cook evenly.
The recipe below specifies light olive oil, but you can use another liquid cooking oil with a high smoke point. Vegetable oil, corn oil, or avocado oil are all good choices.
When air frying, choose a cooking oil with a high smoke point to reduce the chance of your air fryer smoking.
This recipe uses thyme (dried or fresh thyme will work), but you can swap this for any other herbs or seasoning that you like to use with carrots. Try rosemary, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, or cinnamon.
You can add a drizzle of honey to make honey-glazed carrots, or maple syrup works too. It will caramelize up nicely during cooking to give you lovely golden honey-roasted carrots.
How to cook carrots in the air fryer
This recipe is very simple to prepare, there are just a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F / 180°C.
- Prepare the carrots by cutting them lengthwise into quarters (baby carrots can be roasted whole). Then toss them with the oil and seasoning until coated. To make honey-glazed air fryer carrots, add a drizzle of liquid honey over the carrots as you mix them with the butter.
- Air fry carrots. Place the carrots in the air fryer basket, and air fry for 10-15 minutes until they are golden and tender.
How long to air fry carrots?
The carrots will take around 10-15 minutes to roast in the air fryer, depending on how large the carrot pieces are, how powerful your air fryer is, and how you like your carrots cooked.
If you prefer roasted carrots so tender they melt in the mouth, roast them for longer. Or if you prefer to retain a little crunch, you can reduce the cooking time a little.
These roasted carrots are perfect served straight from the air fryer. However, you can take them to the next level with one of these serving ideas:
- Top with garlic and herb butter
- Toss with honey, butter, and a sprinkle of cinnamon for a sweet and delicious side dish.
- Serve them with dipping sauce as a healthy alternative to French fries.
- Drizzle roasted carrots with a balsamic dressing for a sweet and tangy flavor.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over the air-fried carrots for a cheesy and savory flavor.
Also want to air fry your main dish?
These air fried carrots are the perfect match for any air fryer main dish that needs resting time after cooking. Because the cooking time is short, you can cook them while the meat is resting.
Just prepare them while the meat is air frying, then remove the meat and cover with foil to rest for 10-15 minutes while you air fry the carrots.
Air Fryer Carrots
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme fresh or dried
- drizzle liquid honey
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F / 180°C.
- Wash carrots (peel if preferred), then cut lengthwise into quarters [Note 1].
- Place carrot pieces into a large bowl, drizzle with the oil and seasoning (and honey if using), then toss to coat.
- Place carrots in air fryer basket, and set to air fry for 10-15 minutes. Shake the basket once or twice during cooking to ensure the carrots cook evenly.
- The carrots are ready when they are tender and golden brown at the edges.
- Baby carrots can be air-fried whole.
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.