These air fryer Lamb Koftas are a favorite dinner recipe at my house! Made with ground lamb (lamb mince) and spices that really pack a punch, this dish always smells amazing when it is cooking!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to cook lamb koftas in an air fryer
Lamb koftas are delicious and versatile. They can be served in so many ways, as appetizers, part food, or as a main meal for a week night dinner. There is something so warming and appetizing about the combination of spices in this recipe.
- Ground lamb/ lamb mince: You can also use ground beef or another ground meat if you like as a variation.
- Spices: for this recipe, I use a homemade spice mix of ground cumin, ground coriander, cinnamon, turmeric powder, paprika, salt and pepper. If you prefer you can use a store-bought spice mix, but try to find one with a similar flavor.
- Breadcrumbs: I often use panko breadcrumbs for slightly lighter crisper koftas, but regular breadcrumbs are also fine.
- Garlic: 2 cloves, or 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic.
- Onion: you can use brown or red onions. It needs to be finely chopped, or you can use a grater to save yourself some time.
- Skewers (optional): If using bamboo skewers, remember to soak them in water before you use them to prevent them from burning during cooking.
- Step 1: mix the kofta ingredients in a large bowl. Use your hands to ensure that the spices are really mixed well into the meat.
- Step 2: Form/shape the mixture into koftas and thread onto skewers (if using). They can be long football-shaped, flattish, sausage shapes, round like meatballs, or any other shape you choose. Make sure they are around 1-1¼ inches in diameter and all a similar size.
- Step 3: Air fry lamb koftas. Air fry the koftas for approximately 10-12 minutes until cooked through. The koftas are cooked when they reach an internal temperature of at least 160°F/ 72°C in the thickest part.
Note: If your air fryer basket is prone to food sticking, then give the basket a quick spritz with olive oil or avocado oil. Or you can sit the koftas on parchment to start cooking, removing the parchment and flipping them over halfway through cooking (note: some air fryer brands do not recommend using parchment, so check your manual before you do this!).
How to serve lamb koftas
Here are some favorite ways we like to enjoy these lamb koftas:
- Stuff into warm pita breads with shredded lettuce or slaw
- Serve with hummus and salad in a wrap
- With a side salad (try this pomegranate couscous salad)
- Serve as an appetizer with plain yogurt, tahini sauce, or hummus for dipping
You can make a simple lemon yogurt dip to go with these koftas by mixing 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and ½ teaspoon of kosher salt into half a cup of plain yogurt.
Air fryer lamb koftas recipe card
How to make lamb koftas in an air fryer.
- ½lb ground lamb meat (300g lamb mince)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ onion finely chopped
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Finely chop onion, or grate it into a large bowl. Add remaining Kofta ingredients and mix with your hands to ensure the ingredients are well combined.
- Form the mixture into 8 koftas (place on skewers if using) and set aside on a plate.
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F/180°C.
- Place koftas in air fryer basket, and cook for 10-12 minutes until they reach an internal temperature of 160°F/ 72°C [Note 1].
- Use an instant -read meat thermometer to check if you are unsure.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 822mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like:
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!