Get ready for the ultimate game-day or party snack with this quick and easy recipe for cooking frozen chicken wings in the air fryer (straight from your freezer!). This time-saving recipe will revolutionize the way you cook chicken wings and make them your new go-to game-day or party snack.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s quick and convenient – you can cook delicious chicken wings without the need for thawing, saving you time and effort.
- Its versatile – you can season the chicken wings to your taste, making them suitable for any occasion or meal.
- They’re a healthier option – air frying frozen chicken wings is a healthier alternative to deep frying, as it reduces the amount of oil needed, but still gives you crispy wings.
Scroll down for a printable recipe card for cooking frozen wings in the air fryer, or read on for all the details!
What do you need?
Frozen chicken wings
This recipe is for split frozen raw chicken wings.
You can also use frozen whole chicken wings for this recipe, but the cooking times will be longer. Add an extra five minutes to the cooking times below, and confirm that the wings are cooked to 165°F / 74°C before consuming.
The recipe below uses light olive oil, but you can substitute another cooking oil with a high smoke point.
When air frying, choose a cooking oil with a high smoke point to reduce the chance of your air fryer smoking.
The recipe below just calls for ‘chicken seasoning’. You can use your favorite chicken seasoning, or try one of these options:
- Cajun seasoning
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- Buffalo chicken seasoning
- Make a simple homemade blend from 2 teaspoons of paprika, and 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder and salt
- Use simple salt and pepper
How to cook frozen chicken wings in an air fryer
- Place chicken wings in the air fryer basket in a single layer. It is fine if they are slightly touching, but try to ensure there is space around them so the air flow can reach all surfaces of the chicken.
- Air fry frozen wings for 5 minutes at 360°F / 180°C. While the wings are air frying, mix the seasoning and oil together in a small bowl.
- Season the wings. When the 5 minutes cook time it up, open the air fryer and gently blot the wings dry with a paper towel. Brush the oil/seasoning mix onto the wings, flipping them over to cover both sides.
- Air fry the wings at 360°F / 180°C for 20-25 minutes, flipping the wings halfway through the cooking time.
- Check the temperature. When the cooking time is up, ensure they have reached the safe internal temperature of 165°F / 74°C in the thickest part of a few of the largest wings. Air fry for additional 2-3 minute intervals if required.
How long to cook frozen chicken wings in the air fryer
The exact cooking times for frozen wings in the air fryer will depend on a number of factors, including how large the chicken wings are, what their starting temperature is, and how powerful your air fryer is.
When cooking chicken, the it is impotant to check that the internal temperature is 165°F / 74°C or higher all the way through to ensure they are cooked properly.
Use an instant-read thermometer at the end of the cook time to check the temperature in the center of the thickest part of a few of the largest chicken wings. If required, air fry for additional 2-3 minute intervals until they are cooked correctly.
For an accurate temperature reading, ensure that the tip of the thermometer does not touch the bone.
After the wings are cooked it’s time to add some flavor! You can either toss them in sauce, or serve them with a dipping sauce on the side (or both!). You can use your favorite store-bought sauce or make your own.
For spicy wings. toss them in buffalo sauce, hot sauce, or sweet chili. Try honey mustard sauce, teriyaki sauce, bbq sauce, or Jerk chicken sauce for tang without the heat.
Warm the sauce slightly before tossing it and the wings together in a large bowl.
And don’t forget the dipping sauces! Ranch dressing and blue cheese dressing are classic options that pair perfectly with spicy hot sauce wings.
A side of celery sticks or carrot sticks provide a satisfying crunch and refreshing coolness to balance out the spiciness of the wings, making it the perfect addition to your plate.
Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
- 1 lb / 450g frozen chicken wings raw
- 3 teaspoons chicken seasoning
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F / 180°C.
- Place frozen wings in air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry for 5 minutes.
- While the wings are air frying, mix the seasoning and oil together in a small bowl.
- Once the five minute initial cook time is up, open the air fryer and pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels. Brush the oil/seasoning mix over the wings on both sides.
- Air fry frozen wings for 20-25 minutes, flipping them over half way through the cooking time. The wings are cooked when they are golden brown and have reached the safe internal temperature of 165°F / 74°C [Note 1]. Air fry for additional 2-3 minute intervals if required.
- Toss with your favorite dipping sauce, and serve immediately.
- Use an instant read thermometer to check the internal temperaure in the center of the largest few wings. Always confirm safe internal temperature of 165°F / 74°C has been reached at the thickest part before consuming.
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!