Air fryer fish sticks – the best way to cook frozen fish sticks. Air frying means they cook in just minutes, but get crunchy and delicious. Once you try them, you’ll never cook them any other way.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to cook frozen fish sticks (or fish fingers) in an air fryer
I love fish sticks and my favorite way to cook them is in an air fryer. They end up so crispy and delicious you won’t want to cook them any other way!
Air frying fish sticks is better than cooking in an ordinary oven because the action of the hot air circulating crisps them up without needing to add extra oil. As a bonus, they are ready in minutes for a quick weeknight dinner or lunch with no need to turn your oven on!
You can use any brand of frozen breaded fish sticks or frozen fish fingers. I often use Trident or Gorton’s fish sticks. Note that fish sticks vary a lot in size and thickness, so the brand you choose will affect the cooking times. See section below for more details.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F/ 200°C, this takes approximately 3 minutes.
- Place frozen fish sticks in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Ensure they are not touching.
- Air fry fish sticks for 8-10 minutes
How long to cook frozen fish sticks in an air fryer
Frozen fish sticks can vary greatly in size and thickness, and so the time required to cook them fully will vary too.
To make matters more complicated, air fryers all cook at different rates, and so the cooking time will also depend on how powerful your particular air fryer is.
Fish needs to be cooked until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F/ 63°C. Check with an instant-read thermometer if you are at all unsure whether they are cooked fully.
Start by air frying them for around 8 minutes (turning halfway through if required), and then check the temperature. Air fry for additional 1-2 minute intervals, if required until they are cooked fully.
I would recommend printing off the recipe card below and making a note of exactly how long the correct cook time for your air fryer is.
If you have other frozen foods you would like to cook in an air fryer, try using my air fryer conversion calculator to work out the cooking time and temperature needed (°F and °C options).
Cooking Fish Sticks and Fries in an air fryer
Frozen fish sticks and fries (or chips) is the perfect combination to make in an air fryer for an easy dinner the whole family will love.
Air fryer frozen fries take slightly longer to air fry than frozen fish sticks, but it is easy to add the fish sticks in once the french fries have started cooking.
Here are the steps:
- Place frozen french fries in the air fryer basket.
- Cook the fries for 5 minutes, remove basket and shake to redistribute the fries.
- Place the frozen fish sticks on top of the fries.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the basket, remove the fish sticks to a plate, shake the french fries, return the fish sticks to the air fryer basket, flipped over.
- Return the basket to the air fryer and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until the fries and fish sticks are golden brown and cooked through.
You could also use frozen tater tots, smiley fries, or potato wedges.
Serve fish sticks as a snack or appetizer with a dipping sauce like tartar sauce, or add a side of fries and some steamed vegetables to make them into a meal.
How to reheat fish sticks in an air fryer
In the unlikely event that you have any leftover fish sticks, you can store them for a couple of days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.
To reheat leftover fish sticks in the air fryer it is as easy as popping them back in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes at 360°F/ 180°C until they have reached an internal temperature of 145°F/ 63°C.
This is the best way to reheat frozen fish sticks as they will stay crunchy (compared to microwaving), and is much quicker than reheating them in a regular oven.
Air fryer frozen fish sticks recipe card
How to cook frozen fish sticks in an air fryer.
- 6 frozen fish sticks/ fish fingers
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Place frozen fish sticks in the air fryer in a single layer, ensure they are not touching.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and have reached an internal temperature of 145°F/ 63°C. Flip the fish sticks over halfway through cooking time if required for your air fryer [Note 1].
- Check your manual if you are unsure if this is required for your air fryer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 687mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g
You may also like:
Looking for more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can browse recipes by meal type and category!