Air fryer lamb steaks are a great quick and easy dinner. Tender and succulent on the inside, and grilled to perfection on the outside.
How to cook lamb steaks in an air fryer
Air frying is a quick and convenient way to grill or broil lamb steaks, they are so quick to cook. I also love to grill lamb chops in my air fryer, check out my recipe for air fryer lamb chops.
Scroll down for the printable card for this air fryer lamb steak recipe, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
You can use lamb rump steaks or boneless lamb leg steaks for this recipe.
Use a quality cooking oil with a high smoke-point and a neutral flavor, like olive oil, vegetable oil, or avocado oil.
When air frying, choose a cooking oil with a high smoke point to reduce the chance of your air fryer smoking.
This recipe uses very simple seasoning of salt and pepper. However, you can you any seasoning that you like with lamb, try:
- Rosemary and thyme
- Indian spices like cumin, garam masala, ground coriander, curry powder
- A Moroccan spice mix, try cumin, paprika, cinnamon and ginger
For some more ideas, see this article on the best herbs for lamb.
How to cook lamb steaks in the air fryer
This recipe is very simple to make, there are just a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F/ 200°C. This important because the cook time for this recipe is very short, so the air fryer needs to be hot when the steaks go in.
- Prepare the lamb steaks. Pat the steaks dry and rub with a little oil. Mix seasoning together on a plate, then press each side of the lamb steaks into the seasoning to coat well.
- Air fry lamb steaks. Place the lamb steaks into the air fryer, ensure they are not touching. Air fry for 5-10 minutes until at least at least 145°F / 63°C in the center, or cooked to your liking*.
- Rest lamb steaks. Remove from the air fryer, cover with foil and allow the steaks to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
It is important to rest meat following cooking so the juices can reabsorb into the meat so it stays succulent and juicy.
*How long to air fry lamb steaks
The exact cooking times will depend on a few factors including how large your lamb steaks are and how powerful your air fryer is.
The USDA states that the minimum safe internal temperature for lamb steaks is 145°F/ 63°C. This will give medium-done lamb (following resting).
Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature once the lamb has finished air frying, and add a couple of minutes of cooking time if you prefer them more well done.
Use an instant read thermometer to measure the temperature in the center of the thickest part of the meat for an accurate temperature reading.
- Serve with roasted vegetables and a classic mint sauce or brown gravy.
- Serve lamb steaks with a chimichurri sauce made with parsley, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar for a zesty and herbaceous flavor.
- Slice lamb steaks and serve on a Greek salad made with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, olives, and a lemon and olive oil dressing.
- Slice and serve with a couscous salad made with roasted vegetables, herbs, and a lemon and olive oil dressing.
How to cook lamb steaks in an air fryer.
- 2 lamb steaks (approx 5oz each)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Drizzle of light olive oil
- Remove steak from the refrigerator an hour before cooking to allow it to reach room temperature before cooking.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F/ 200°C.
- Mix salt and ground pepper on a plate.
- Pat lamb steaks dry, then rub or spray with a little olive oil.
- Press each side of the steak into the salt/pepper mix, then place in air fryer basket. ensure they are not touching.
- Air fry lamb steaks for 5 minutes for medium-rare (9 minutes for well-done).
- Use an instant-read meat thermometer to check the internal temperature - it should be 160°F/ 71°C for medium-rare, or 170°F/ 76°C or above for well done.
- Remove lamb steaks from the air fryer, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 373mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 21g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.