Whip up these fast, foolproof air fryer spaghetti squash noodles for tender, flavorful strands minus the lengthy baking time of traditional methods.
Why you’ll love air fryer spaghetti squash
- It’s a low-carb alternative to traditional pasta. The “noodles” provide fiber and nutrients without the carbs.
- It’s super quick and easy to make. Simply cut and season the squash, then let your air fryer work its magic.
- It’s versatile. You can customize the recipe with different seasonings – try everything bagel seasoning, brown butter, pesto, etc. to make it a side dish for almost any meal.
Scroll down for the printable card for this air fryer spaghetti squash recipe, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
You will need a small spaghetti squash around 2-3 pounds. Choose the size according to the size of your air fryer basket.
When selecting a spaghetti squash for air frying, choose a squash that is firm and heavy for its size, which indicates it is ripe and packed with flesh.
Look for a squash with an evenly bright yellow or pale yellow rind free of blemishes or soft spots. Avoid squashes with green coloring as they are underripe. The ideal spaghetti squash for air frying will be ripe enough to shred easily into noodle-like strands after cooking yet firm enough not to become mushy.
The recipe below uses light olive oil, but any other cooking oil with a neutral flavor and a high smoke point can be used. Try avocado oil or vegetable oil.
Choose a cooking oil with a high smoke point to reduce the chance of your air fryer smoking.
This recipe uses a simple seasoning of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. However, you can get creative with the seasoning, and flavor the spaghetti squash however you like to match the flavors of the meal you are making.
Try adding some red pepper flakes for some heat, or use smoked paprika for a rich earthy flavor.
How to cook spaghetti squash in the air fryer
- Prepare the squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Next, scoop out the seeds with a spoon or melon baller.
To make this easier, you can use a sharp knife to make a dotted line lengthwise around the entire squash, then microwave it on high for 2-3 minutes. Transfer it to a cutting board and cut the squash in half lengthwise using the dotted line as a guide.
- Place both halves of the spaghetti squash in the air fryer basket, cut side up. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle seasonings over them.
- Air fry spaghetti squash till it is fork tender. Cook the squash in the air fryer at 380°F/ 190°C for 18-20 minutes. Test the spaghetti squash with a fork, if the fork slides in easily it is done.
- Make the spaghetti. Carefully remove the squash from the air fryer basket, and use a fork to scrape up strands of the flesh. Remember the squash will be very hot, so use a pot holder or clean dish towel to hold it while you do this.
Serve air-fried spaghetti squash as a low-carb alternative to pasta, simply add your favorite spaghetti sauce to the cooked squash (try marinara!). You can also mix in grilled chicken, sautéed shrimp, or cooked vegetables, such as bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms, for a more substantial dish.
Here are some other topping ideas to try:
- Toasted nuts: A sprinkle of toasted pine nuts, almonds, or walnuts adds both flavor and crunch.
- Fresh herbs: Brighten the taste by adding fresh basil, parsley, or cilantro.
- Crispy bacon: Crumbled bacon provides a salty and smoky accent.
- Parmesan: A classic choice that adds a salty and nutty flavor.
- Pesto sauce: A popular choice to highlight the nutty profile of the squash.
- Garlic and herb butter: A simple sauce that elevates the dish with minimal effort.
Storing and reheating
Place any leftover spaghetti squash in an airtight container in the fridge, and use within 5 days.
You can reheat your spaghetti squash in the air fryer, for 3-4 minutes at 360°F / 180°C until it’s warmed through.
Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- 2 pound / 900 g spaghetti squash [Note 1]
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Carefully cut the spaghetti squash in half longways with a sharp knife. You can microwave your squash for a few minutes first to make it easier to cut.
- Scoop all the seeds out of the inside of teh squash with a large spoon and discard.
- Place the halves of the spaghetti squash in the air fryer basket. Drizzle it with oil, and sprinkle the seasonings over it.
- Air fry spaghetti squash for 18 minutes at 380°F/ 190°C until fork tender (a fork easily goes through the flesh of the squash).
- Carefully remove the squash from the air fryer (it will be hot!). Then, holding the squash with a pot holder, use a fork to scrape out the flesh into long strands for serving.
- Buy pre-cut if you can, or ask your grocer to cut it in half for you.
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.