This is the easiest recipe you will find to roast pumpkin. Air fryer pumpkin is so quick and simple, and makes a lovely autumn vegetable side dish!
How to Roast Pumpkin in an Air Fryer
At this time of year I love to serve roasted pumpkin. Since I discovered how quick and easy it is to roast in an air fryer we often have it several times a week. It is a really great last minute ‘I forgot to plan dinner’ side dish.
Sometimes my local grocery store has pre-cut pumpkin, which I love as I do feel like I take my life into my hands cutting up pumpkin. If I can’t get pre-cut I like to use smaller pumpkins as they are easier to cut up. To prep, just cut the pumpkin into wedges or chunks half an inch thick. Use a very sharp knife and cut very slowly and carefully. I leave the skin on, but I do clean up the stringy bits from the inside.
All the pumpkin needs is a quick spray of oil before air frying. You can add spices if you prefer a spiced roasted pumpkin, but this is optional. I often roast pumpkin without any spices, depending on the flavors of the dish I am serving it with. If I want spiced pumpkin I usually use mixed spice or nutmeg, but you can also try paprika or chili, or a mix of all three.
Air frying pumpkin doesn’t take long, only 10 minutes. The pumpkin will be golden and tender when it is cooked.
I serve roast pumpkin as a side dish for recipes like air fryer roast beef and pork. Because the cooking time is only 10 minutes you can roast it after you have finished air frying a meat dish, while the meat is resting. Just prepare it while the meat is cooking.
- 2 lb pumpkin buy precut if you can!
- olive oil spray
- ½ tsp nutmeg or other spices (optional)
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F (180°C).
- Cut pumpkin into wedges or chunks approx. ½ inch thick.
- Place the pumpkin pieces into the air fryer basket. If possible arrange the pieces so they are not touching, otherwise, be sure to shake the basket half way through cooking.
- Spray the pumpkin with olive oil.
- Optional: sprinkle nutmeg of other spices over the pumpkin.
- Place basket into the air fryer. Roast pumpkin in air fryer for 10 minutes. It will be tender and golden when it is done.