Try this recipe for crispy air fryer tofu as a healthy alternative to deep fried tofu. This dish is made by coating tofu in a light seasoning and then air frying until it is crispy. Cooking tofu in the air fryer is quick and easy, but best of all it comes out perfectly crispy every time.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Crispy air fried tofu makes a delicious meal or snack. I love deep-fried tofu, but I don’t love the calories that go along with it!
Luckily, cooking tofu in an air fryer is quick and easy and a great healthy alternative to frying it in oil!
The action of the hot air means air frying gives you delicious crispy tofu, but without all the extra oil and the calories that go along with it. It is so easy to make and so tasty, this has to be one of my favorite air fryer recipes!
Scroll down for the printable card for this crispy air fryer tofu recipe, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
Quantities are given in the recipe card below.
There are a few different types of tofu, you will need to use firm tofu (ideally extra firm tofu) for this recipe.
Soft tofu (aka silken tofu) doesn’t have the right texture for this recipe and will fall apart when it is seasoned.
Use all-purpose flour. This is mixed with the seasoning and creates a crispy coating on the outside of the tofu. You can substitute almond flour or another gluten-free flour if you prefer.
This recipe uses a simple homemade seasoning mix of five-spice, brown sugar and salt. You can use another type of seasoning if you want a different flavor, try adding some onion powder, or garlic powder, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, or chili powder.
A little oil is needed to get really crispy tofu. I normally use light olive oil in my air fryer, but you can use any cooking oil with a high smoke point (e.g. vegetable oil, corn oil, avocado oil).
When air frying, choose a cooking oil with a high smoke point to reduce the chance of your air fryer smoking.
How to Cook Tofu in an Air Fryer
This recipe is very simple to make, there are just a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Prepare the tofu. Cut the tofu block into cubes around 1-inch square. Pat the cubes dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Season the tofu. Mix the flour, spices, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl with the oil. Then add the cubed tofu and mix to combine. Try to make sure each tofu cube is evenly coated.
When you are mixing the tofu pieces in the spice mix be sure to mix it gently as possible as it is easy to damage them.
- Place tofu in air fryer. Place the cubes of tofu in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Try to make sure they are not touching each other, as this allows the hot air to contact all surfaces helping to get the tofu crispy on the outside.
- Air fry the tofu for around 15 minutes until it is golden brown and crispy on the outside. Flip it over halfway through cooking if this is required for your air fryer. If you want crisper tofu you can air fry it for an additional 2-3 minutes until it is done how you like it.
Serve the air fried tofu with your favorite dipping sauce try:
- Soy sauce or tamari
- Peanut sauce
- Sweet chili sauce
- Sweet soy sauce
- Hoisin sauce
- Sriracha or hot sauce
- Maple syrup
Or you can make a quick homemade dipping sauce by mixing: soy sauce (2 tablespoons), sesame oil (1 teaspoon), and rice vinegar (½ tablespoon). You can also add a sprinkle of chili flakes for some heat if you like.
Storing and reheating
Store any leftover air fried tofu in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within three days.
You can reheat tofu in the air fryer – place the tofu cubes in the air fryer basket in a single layer, and air fry at 360°F/ 180°C until warmed through.
Air Fryer Tofu
How to cook crispy tofu in the air fryer.
- 10oz/ 300g tofu block, (firm style)
- 2 teaspoon five spice seasoning
- 1 teaspoon flour
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons light olive oil
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F/ 180°C.
- Cut tofu block into 1-inch cubes, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix spice, flour, sugar, salt, and oil in a large bowl.
- Add tofu cubes to the bowl and gently mix to coat tofu cubes in the seasoning mix.
- Place tofu cubes in the air fryer basket in a single layer, ensure they are not touching.
- Air fry tofu for 15 minutes, until golden brown and crispy on the outside [Note 1]. Air fry for additional 2-minute intervals if you prefer it more crispy.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Flip the tofu over halfway through the cooking time if this is required for your air fryer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 727mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!