Air fryer whole chicken wings make a great quick and easy meal. They are versatile, very quick to cook, and air frying means they will be perfectly crisp on the outside and succulent in the middle. Pair with fries or a salad for an easy midweek dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to cook whole chicken wings in an air fryer
Air fryer chicken wings can make a great meal, but portioned chicken wings are a bit fiddly, and better as a snack or appetizer if you ask me. I prefer to cook whole chicken wings if we are having them for a main meal. And air frying is my favorite way to cook them!
We love air fried chicken. It is so quick and easy, and is so great for getting crispy results due to the action of the hot air. Some of our favorites are air fried chicken legs, air fryer chicken breast, and roast chicken.
If you want to get the chicken really crispy, pat it dry before you season it. The drier it is when it starts cooking the crisper it will turn out!
For seasoning, I often use store-bought chicken spices, but you can easily make your own. Try using salt, ground pepper, paprika, and ground cumin for a simple homemade mix.
Some of our favorite seasonings for chicken wings are:
- Lemon pepper
- Rosemary and thyme
- Garlic salt
- Paprika and cayenne pepper
Just add a little oil first, then rub the seasoning on with a little salt.
1. Season the chicken wings. Place seasoning in a bowl with olive oil, add the chicken wings and toss to coat. Alternatively use the cheats method: leaving the wings in the air fryer basket, spray them with oil, then carefully sprinkle seasoning on top. Press seasoning in with tongs, then flip the wings over and do the same to the other side.
2. Place chicken wings in the air fryer. The chicken wings should be placed in the air fryer basket in a single layer. It is OK if they are slightly touching, but try to ensure there is space around them so the hot air flow can reach all surfaces of the wings.
3. Cook the wings. Air fry the wings at 320°F (160°C) for twenty to twenty-five minutes flipping them over half way through the cooking time. Check to see that they have reached 165°F (74°C) or higher in the thickest part, and air fry for a few additional minutes if required.
⏲️ Cooking times
The cooking times for whole chicken wings is usually longer than for cooking chicken wing portions because the pieces are larger and will take longer to cook through.
The important thing with getting the cooking times right with chicken is always to ensure that the internal temperature in the center of the thickest part is 165°F (74°C) or higher using an instant read thermometer.
You can also use a dry rub or a marinade in place of the seasoning in this recipe.
For a dry rub, place wings in a large bowl, liberally cover with the dry rub, then rub it into the and under the skin of the chicken until it is well covered. Air fry immediately.
To use a marinade, place the wings and marinade in a large zip-lock bag, seal and ensure that the wings are covered by the marinade. Leave in a refrigerator for a few hours or overnight, then drain and discard the marinade and gently pat the wings dry before air frying.
📋 Air Fryer Whole Chicken Wings Recipe
How to cook whole chicken wings in an air fryer.
- 1lb whole chicken wings
- 2 teaspoons chicken seasoning (or more if required)
- 1 teaspoon kosher/flaked salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 285°F (140°C).
- Place seasoning, salt and oil to a large bowl and mix.
- Add chicken wings to the bowl and toss to coat with the seasoning.
- Place chicken wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket skin-side down.
- Air fry wings at 320°F (160°C) for 20-25 minutes, flipping them over half way through the cooking time.
- Use an instant read thermometer to ensure that the wings have reached the safe temperature of 165°F (74°C) in the center of the thickest part. Air fry for an additional few minutes if required.
- Toss with your favorite sauce, and serve.
Cook times are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact size of the chicken wings used and the make and model of air fryer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 467Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 213mgSodium: 854mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 36g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like:
- Air fryer chicken recipes
- Air fryer chicken tenders
- Air fryer half chicken
- Air fried chicken thighs
- Air fryer recipes
Looking for more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!
*This blog post contains affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a cent more – thanks in advance for your support!
Welcome to Love Food Not Cooking!
I’m Eliza, busy mom, home cook, and blogger. My goal is to help everyone cook good food. Whether you are short on time, skills, or motivation, there is something here for you! We have dozens of quick and easy recipes for dinner, lunch, side dishes, and more. Our recipes use everyday ingredients, for quick delicious meals your family will love! Read more…