Try making air fryer chicken steaks for a tasty and easy-to-make weeknight dinner that is ready in no time. This delicious main dish can be prepared and cooked quickly, making it the perfect option for a busy evening.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe is incredibly easy to make, as it requires only a few simple ingredients and minimal preparation time. This makes it a great option for novice cooks or anyone looking for a quick and easy meal.
- The air fryer cooks the chicken breast steaks quickly, which means they can be ready in just a few minutes, making them a great option for busy weeknights or last-minute meals.
- Air fryer chicken breast steaks are a healthy and low-fat alternative to traditional fried chicken, making them a great option for anyone looking to eat healthier.
For breaded chicken steaks, check out Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets. Or for some other popular air fryer chicken breast recipes try: Air Fryer Chicken Breast, Air Fryer Chicken Schnitzel, Air Fryer Chicken Kabobs (Skewers), or Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken.
Scroll down for the printable recipe card for these air fryer chicken steaks, or read on for all the details.
Table of contents
What do you need?
This recipe uses boneless skinless chicken breast, which is sliced in half horizontally. You can also use ready-prepared chicken breast steaks or chicken breast fillets if they are available at your grocery store or butcher.
This recipe uses a simple seasoning made from Italian herbs (rosemary, basil, parsley, and oregano), salt and pepper. However, you can substitute any herb or spice blend you like with chicken. You can also use a marinade if you prefer.
The recipe below uses light olive oil, but you can use another cooking oil with a high smoke point (like vegetable oil or avocado oil).
When air frying, choose a cooking oil with a high smoke point to reduce the chance of your air fryer smoking.
How to cook chicken steaks in the air fryer
This recipe is very straightforward to make, but there are a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Prepare the chicken steaks. Carefully slice the chicken breast in half. To do this, place your hand flat on top of the chicken breast and use a sharp knife to slice through the chicken breast horizontally through the center to cut it into two cutlets.
- Season the chicken. Drizzle the steaks with a little oil, then add the seasoning and flip them over and oil and season the other side.
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F/ 180°C, then place the chicken steaks in the air fryer basket. If you are cooking more than one, ensure they are not touching.
- Air fry chicken steaks for around 8-10 minutes until golden brown and 165°F/ 74°C in the center of the thickest part. If required for your air fryer, flip the chicken breasts over halfway through the cooking time (check your manual if you are unsure if this is required).
- Rest the chicken steaks. Remove chicken steaks from the air fryer, cover with kitchen foil, and leave to rest for at least 5 minutes.
How long to air fry chicken steaks?
The exact cooking time for chicken steaks in the air fryer depends on a few factors, including how large the steaks are (in particular, how thick they are), and how powerful your air fryer is.
The best and safest way to tell when chicken is cooked is to use an instant read meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.
Chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165°F/ 74°C or higher all the way through to be safe to consume.
Use an instant read thermometer to measure the temperature in the center of the thickest part of the meat for an accurate temperature reading.
These chicken breast steaks are versatile and can be served just about any way you like. Try adding a side of fries or crispy air fried potatoes and a salad. Or try one of these tasty serving options:
- Chicken burgers: serve steaks in hamburger buns with salad, avocado and mayo or cranberry sauce.
- Chicken fajitas: Slice chicken steaks and serve them with sautéed onions and peppers, tortillas, and other toppings for a Tex-Mex inspired meal.
- Chicken Caesar salad: Slice the chicken and serve them over a bed of romaine lettuce, croutons, and Caesar dressing.
- Chicken Alfredo: Serve air fryer chicken breast steaks over a bed of pasta with a creamy alfredo sauce for a comforting and indulgent dish.
Storing and reheating
Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge, and use within three days.
You can reheat your chicken steaks in the air fryer. Air fry at 360°F / 180°C for 5 minute intervals until they reach 165°F / 74°C in the center.
Air Fryer Chicken Steaks
- 1 chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning [Note 1]
- 2 teaspoons light olive oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F/ 180°C.
- Pat chicken breast dry, then carefully slice it through the center horizontally, into chicken steaks of equal thickness.
- Place chicken steaks in a bowl, drizzle with oil, add the seasoning, then toss to coat.
- Place chicken steaks in air fryer basket, ensure they are not touching.
- Air fry chicken steaks for 8-12 minutes at 360°F/ 180°C until they have reached at least 165°F/ 74°C in the center of the thickest part [Note 2]. Flip the chicken steaks over half-way through the cooking time if required for your air fryer.
- When the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the air fryer and rest covered with foil for 5 minutes.
- For a simple homemade mix try: ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Check temperature with an instant-read thermometer. The cooking time will depend on how thick the chicken breast is, and will also vary depending on the type of air fryer you have.
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.