This Instant Pot basmati rice is a quick, simple side dish that is ready in next to no time. Even better, the Instant Pot gives you perfectly cooked rice that’s fragrant and fluffy, with no need to stand and supervise a boiling pot on the stove.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Basmati rice is known for its fragrant aroma, delicate texture, and distinct taste. Preparing the perfect pot of basmati rice can be a challenge, but with the help of an Instant Pot pressure cooker, you’ll achieve fluffy, tender, and clump-free rice every time.
The best part is it is hand-free cooking. You just add the ingredients, set the Instant Pot going, then get on with your day.
Scroll down for the printable card for this Instant Pot basmati rice recipe, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
Full ingredients list and quantities given in recipe card below.
Basmati rice is a long-grain rice known for its aromatic and nutty flavors. Choose a good quality brand such as Pride of India or Royal for best results.
The general rule of thumb for Instant Pot Basmati rice is a 1:1 ratio of rice to water. This means that for every cup of rice, you’ll need one cup of water. It’s important to use cool water to ensure the rice cooks evenly.
An Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker
This recipe uses an Instant Pot, but you can use another brand of electric pressure cooker or a multicooker with a pressure cook function.
How to cook basmati rice in the Instant Pot
This recipe is very quick and easy to prepare, there are just a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Rinse Rice: Before starting to cook, make sure to rinse the basmati rice under running water in a fine mesh strainer to remove any excess starch. This step will help prevent the rice from becoming too sticky.
- Combine Rice and Water: Add the rinsed basmati rice and 1 cup of water to your Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Secure the Lid: Lock the lid of your Instant Pot and ensure that the pressure release valve (vent) is in the “Sealing” position.
- Cook at High Pressure: Press the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” button, making sure the “High Pressure” setting is selected, then set the timer for 6 minutes.
- Allow Pressure to Release: Once the cooking time has finished, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. After ten minutes, carefully switch the pressure valve to “Quick Release” to release any remaining pressure. Do not open the lid until all the pressure has been released and the float valve has dropped down.
- Fluff and Rest: Remove the lid and gently fluff the cooked basmati rice with a fork. Let the rice rest, uncovered, for a few minutes to allow any excess steam to escape.
Basmati Rice is a versatile side dish that complements many different cuisines. First and foremost, it’s a perfect companion for your favorite curry Indian or Thai curries. But it is also great served with chili, grilled chicken, or fish.
Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 cups water
- Rinse Basmati rice under running water using a mesh sieve. This removes the fine layer of starch on the outside of the grains, preventing them from sticking together.
- Place the rinsed Basmati rice and water into the Instant Pot inner pot. Ensure that no grains remain stuck to the edge of the pot.
- Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot, then set the Instant Pot to pressure cook for 6 minutes at high pressure.
- When the time is up, allow the Instant Pot to depressurize naturally for 10 minutes (using the keep warm function). After this time you can use quick release to finish depressurizing before opening the Instant Pot.
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.