Microwave steamed edamame – the quickest and best way to cook edamame. For a quick healthy snack, side dish, or a last-minute appetizer. Packed with protein and fiber, it is as healthy as it is delicious!
How to Cook Edamame in the Microwave
I absolutely love edamame. It is healthy and delicious, packed with protein and fiber, and makes a great snack, appetizer, or side dish. If you steam it in the microwave it is ready in minutes.
All you need is a microwave-safe bowl or dish with a well-fitting lid (or a plate that fits well over the top). A couple of tablespoons of water in the bottom of the bowl is enough to steam the edamame as long as that lid is well-fitting!
If you find that the edamame beans sitting in the water in the bottom of the bowl end up a little over-cooked, then you could invest in a silicone steamer like this one by Joie*, which will hold them up above the water.
I like my edamame a little salty, so will usually serve them with just a small sprinkle of flaked sea salt, but you could also add a dash of your favorite soy sauce.
Microwave Steamed Edamame
- 3 oz edamame beans
- 2 tablespoons water
- flaked sea salt to taste
- Place edamame beans in a microwave-safe dish or bowl with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cover the bowl with a lid, and place in the microwave oven.
- Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes until hot.
- Remove from the microwave and drain Caution: a large amount of hot steam will be released when you remove the lid from the bowl!
- Serve with a sprinkle of flaked sea salt. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.