Microwave steamed edamame – the quickest and best way to cook edamame. For a quick healthy snack, side dish, or a last-minute appetizer. Packed with protein and fiber it is as healthy as it is delicious!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to Cook Edamame in the Microwave
I absolutely love edamame. It is healthy and delicious, packed with protein and fiber, and makes a great snack, appetizer, or side dish. If you steam it in the microwave it is ready in minutes.
All you need is a microwave-safe bowl or dish with a well-fitting lid (or a plate that fits well over the top). A couple of tablespoons of water in the bottom of the bowl is enough to steam the edamame as long as that lid is well-fitting!
If you find that the edamame beans sitting in the water in the bottom of the bowl end up a little over-cooked, then you could invest in a silicone steamer like this one by Joie*, which will hold them up above the water.
I like my edamame a little salty, so will usually serve them with just a small sprinkle of flaked sea salt, but you could also add a dash of your favorite soy sauce.
Microwave Steamed Edamame
- 3 oz edamame beans
- 2 tbsp water
- flaked sea salt to taste
- Place edamame beans in a microwave-safe dish or bowl with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cover the bowl with a lid, and place in the microwave oven.
- Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes until hot.
- Remove from the microwave and drain Caution: a large amount of hot steam will be released when you remove the lid from the bowl!
- Serve with a sprinkle of flaked sea salt. Enjoy!
You may also like:
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!