This delicious banana bread recipe couldn’t be easier, the basic version only has five ingredients, is super healthy, and is also completely vegan! (though you can add treats to make it as unhealthy as you like!)
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to Make 5-Ingredient Banana Bread (bonus: it’s vegan)
This recipe for banana bread is so easy and straight-forward, I love to make it with my kids. All you need to do is add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them up. It really couldn’t be simpler!
It doesn’t matter what order they go in, there’s no creaming, or beating required. Add ingredients, mix, put in pan, bake. It really is as simple as that.
You can even bake it in an air fryer: see my recipe for air fryer banana bread for all the deets.
This is a vegan banana bread recipe (not that you would think so to taste it), and the basic version only needs 5 ingredients. You can add in extras if you like to make it more decadent (chocolate chips anyone?) or more nutritious (think: chopped nuts, or seeds).
So the basic recipe requires just five ingredients:
- Bananas: I use 4 medium bananas, you could get away with 3 if they are really large, or maybe 5 small ones. The key thing you want is that they are very ripe. Brown, spotty, left in the fruit bowl for a week is perfect! This makes them easier to mash smooth and sweetens the recipe so you need less sugar.
- Sugar: this is a flexible ingredient. You can use white or brown sugar, and vary the amount from around half a cup to a whole cup, depending on how healthy or sweet you want to make it.
- Oil: light olive oil is great, you could also use melted coconut oil, or any cooking oil really. Also melted butter, though obvs it won’t be vegan if you do that.
- Flour: I use all purpose flour. You could use self rising and skip the baking soda.
- Baking soda: (not baking powder!) – helps it rise, makes it light.
Optional Extra Ingredients
One of the great things about this recipe is that you can switch up the ingredients and make it as healthy or decadent as you like. Vary the sugar, or add in extras for a treat or to increase nutrition.
Here are some extras I like to add:
- Chocolate chips – remember to use dairy-free for a vegan banana bread!
- Chopped nuts – try walnuts, almonds or pecans
- Chopped dates
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C). Line an 8 x 4in loaf pan with baking paper.
- Make batter: In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas using a fork (or a potato ricer). Add the flour, sugar, oil and baking soda. Mix until well combined. You want the mixture to be quite smooth, with no lumps of flour remaining.
- Add goodies: Add in any optional extra ingredients you are using, make sure they are chopped up to around ¼ inch or smaller. Stir to combine.
- Bake: Pour or spoon the mixture into the baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a cake tester (or skewer) inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool: Allow the loaf to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Serve on its own, spread with butter, or with a scoop of ice-cream on the side.
5-Ingredient Vegan Banana Bread Recipe Card
How to bake vegan banana bread with only 5 ingredients.
- 4 medium bananas (very ripe)
- ½ - 1 cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of cooking oil (olive oil, coconut oil, vegetable oil)
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- (Optional) ½ cup of extras (e.g. chocolate chips, chopped walnuts)
- Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C).
- Line an 8 x 4in loaf pan with baking paper
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas using a fork (or a potato ricer).
- Add the flour, sugar, oil and baking soda. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add in any extra ingredients, stir to combine.
- Pour or spoon the mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a cake tester (or skewer) inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 192mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g
You may also like:
- Air fryer banana muffins
- Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- Microwave Chocolate fudge microwave mug cake
- Microwave banana cake in a mug
- Air fryer fruit pudding
- Guide to baking in an air fryer
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!