This recipe for leftover turkey and mushroom pie is super quick and easy to make, and a great way to use up extra turkey over the holidays.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to Cook Turkey Pie with Leftovers
This recipe for turkey pie is one of my favorite ways of using up leftover turkey after Christmas.
It uses pre-cooked (i.e. leftover) turkey, and so is very quick to cook, as you just need to cook the mushrooms and heat the turkey through.
This is the quickest and easiest type of pie to make. It is called an ‘open’ pie because it is not enclosed with a pastry base like a traditional pie. This makes it super quick to cook (no blind-baking required), and also healthier as you are cutting down on the pastry involved.
The easiest thing about the recipe is that the filling is cooked in a pan and only the top crust is cooked in the oven, meaning it can be on the table in less than 20 minutes!
As a variation, you could use any leftover poultry, but at this time of year, we mostly seem to have leftover turkey for some reason…
Serve with a side of fresh steamed vegetables (try microwave steamed broccoli), for a quick and delicious dinner.
Easy Leftover Turkey Pie Recipe
How to make an easy turkey and mushroom pie.
- 3 oz puff pastry, (sheet, or rolled)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, (minced)
- 10 oz leftover turkey, (shredded or diced)
- ½ tsp mixed herbs
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp corn flour
- 1 stock cube, (vegetable or chicken)
- 4 oz lite sour cream
- 3 oz pesto
- drizzle olive oil
- Preheat oven to 390F (200C).
- Cut pastry sheet into two pieces.
- Place cut pastry sheets onto a lined oven tray, and bake for approx. 7-10 minutes. Keep checking while you are cooking the pie in the next step to make sure it doesn't burn!
Cook pie filling
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry pan.
- Cook mushrooms until softened (approx. 3 minutes).
- Add the minced garlic, herbs, and corn flour to the pan. Stir while cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- (Remember to check on the pastry in the oven!)
- Add the water and cook until the sauce starts to thicken (approx 3-4 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and stir through pesto and sour cream.
- Serve the pie filling topped with a cooked pastry sheet.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 777.5Total Fat: 48.9gSaturated Fat: 13.7gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 177.8mgSodium: 1181.8mgCarbohydrates: 32.4gFiber: 2.8gSugar: 4.9gProtein: 50.4g
You may also like:
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!