The next time you need a healthy meal in a hurry, try this recipe for air fryer chicken breast and potatoes. Cooking chicken breast and potatoes in the air fryer (at the same time) saves you time, cuts down the oil in your meal, and also saves you a pan to clean up afterward. No wonder this is one of my favorite recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to cook chicken breast and potatoes in an air fryer
Two of my favorite things to cook in my air fryer are chicken breast and potatoes. And today I am going to show you how to cook chicken breast and potatoes in the air fryer together!
Add a simple salad or some microwave steamed vegetables and you’ve got yourself a whole meal. Not only is it quick and easy to make, but it’s healthy too!
Scroll down for the printable card for this recipe for air fryer chicken breast and potatoes, or read on for all the details.
Chicken breast: I use fresh boneless skinless chicken breast. I wouldn’t recommend using frozen chicken breast in this recipe without thawing it first as the potatoes in the air fryer may cause it to cook unevenly. Cook the potatoes and chicken separately (see Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Breast for more details).
Potatoes: Choose a roasting variety. Most types of red potatoes, yellow or gold should give good results. Try russet, Maris Piper, Agria, or Sebago potatoes.
The recipe below uses regular potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes, but you can use baby potatoes and cut them in half or quarters so that they are around 1 inch wide.
Seasoning: This recipe uses fine ground sea salt to season the potatoes and a chicken seasoning mix. Either use your favorite pre-made spice blend, or you can make a simple homemade mix with:
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Please feel free to adapt the seasonings to your taste preferences.
Oil: I use light olive oil in this recipe, but you can substitute any other cooking oil that you would normally use in your air fryer. Choose one with a high smoke point, like corn oil, vegetable oil, or avocado oil.
You will need an air fryer with a big enough capacity to hold 2 pounds (1kg) for the recipe below.
If you have a small air fryer, which doesn’t have a huge capacity, you have two options.
1. You can adjust the quantities to match your air fryer’s capacity, or
2. You can part-cook the potatoes for 15 minutes ahead of cooking the chicken, remove and cover them while the chicken cooks. Then return them to finish cooking for ten minutes once the chicken is resting.
How to cook chicken breast and potatoes in an air fryer (AT THE SAME TIME!)
This is a very simple recipe, but there are a few steps that it is important to get right (and to do in the right order) so that this recipe comes out perfect every time.
- Soak the potatoes. Peel the potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes, and place them in a large bowl filled with cool water to soak. This helps to remove the surface starch from the potatoes, which helps to get them crispier.
- While the potatoes are soaking, prepare the chicken. Pat the chicken breasts dry, then place in a medium bowl with a drizzle of oil and the chicken seasoning.
- Air fry chicken breast for 10 minutes while you prepare the potatoes.
- Prepare the potatoes. Drain the potatoes, pat them dry (getting them really dry at this stage helps to make them extra crispy), then mix with the remaining oil and sea salt. Add the potatoes to the air fryer with the chicken breasts.
- Air fry chicken and potatoes together for 15 minutes. Check internal temperature of the chicken to ensure it has reached 165F/74C). Remove chicken to a plate and cover with kitchen foil to rest for ten minutes.
- Finish cooking the potatoes. Shake the potatoes in the air fryer basket to redistribute them. This ensures that they cook evenly. Then air fry the potatoes on their own for a final ten minutes while the chicken rests.
I normally serve chicken breast and potatoes with a side salad and a tasty dressing or sauce like sweet chili mayo, ranch dressing, or bbq sauce.
For some other easy and healthy side dish options, try:
Storage and reheating
Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator and use within 3 days.
To reheat, place the chicken and potatoes in the air fryer, and set to cook at 360F/180C for ten minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F/74C.
How to cook chicken breast and potatoes in an air fryer (at the same time!)
- 1lb chicken breasts (2 medium)
- 1lb russet potatoes [Note 1]
- 3 tablespoons oil (divided)
- 3 teaspoons chicken seasoning [Note 2]
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Peel the potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes, and soak in a bowl of cold water.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360F/180C.
- Pat the chicken breast dry, place in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of oil and the seasoning, and toss to coat.
- Place the chicken breast in the air fryer and cook at 360F/180C for 10 minutes while you finish preparing the potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes and pat them dry. Place in a large bowl, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil, add the salt, and toss to coat.
- When the air fryer cooking time is up, add the potatoes to the air fryer basket, rearranging it so that the chicken is on top.
- Air fry chicken and potatoes together for 15 minutes.
- When the cook time is up check the internal temperature of the chicken to ensure it has reached 165F/74C [Note 3].
- Remove the chicken breasts to a plate and cover with kitchen foil to rest for ten minutes.
- Shake the air fryer basket to redistribute the potatoes [Note 4], then air fry the potatoes for a final 10 minutes while the chicken rests.
- Serve air-fried chicken and potatoes with a side salad, and enjoy!
- Choose a roasting variety, such as Maris Piper, Sebago, Maris Piper, Agria, or Sebago potatoes, or another yellow or golden variety.
- Or make a simple homemade mix from: 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Use an instant-read thermometer.
- Or use tongs to quickly flip them if you have a tray type air fryer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 787Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 729mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 77g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like:
- Air fryer frozen chicken breast
- Air fryer steak bites with mushrooms
- Air fryer chicken breast
- Air fryer pork chops
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!